Rockman Clean Chorus W/IR's

trsaudio

Here is a patch to emulate the clean stereo chorus sound of a Tom Scholz Rockman (the Soloist in this case). This was a staple clean sound for me for a few years back (1988 or so) when running a Korg A3 (& later an A1) as the switching time was so slow I ran a Rockman on the clean stereo chorus to switch to with an A/B box. It's still a good clean sound with all the compression that makes it fun to play.

You'll need to load the accompanying IR's (L&R) to get it to sound close as I used the IR's as a way to do some of the "Tone Matching" since it was the easiest way to do this (pre FW 6.0). The sound is close but not exact but still useful. I will likely re-do it for FW 6.0 with tone matching and hopefully get it a little closer to the hardware unit I have.

Any suggestions or comments welcome.

Keith

Here's the preset and the IR's:

Attachments

• TRS Rockman Clean Chorus.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 149
  • TRS Rockman IR Cln Chor L.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 111
  • TRS Rockman IR Cln Chor R.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 115
The frequency response on the direct (Left Channel) and FX (right channel - chorus) signal was substantial. I was just trying for as much accuracy as I could get. Even then there is a lot happening with the Rockman itself above 10K that was hard to get close to with the Axe. Not sure how necessary those frequencies are to guitar per say but seeing it visually was enlightening.

In the end what looked closer on freq. plots didn't always sound correct and I tuned more by ear than I thought I would. Even though it can be more "accurate" I am pretty happy with the patch and it's fun to play.

Keith

Could the frequency plots be thrown by a widening effect? Did you measure it with the chorus OFF or do any delay time range tests?

I did do some measurements with the chorus off (similar plots). What I did see was somewhat expected that the direct signal had very extended frequency response while the fx (delayed chorus signal) showed signs of a typical analog delay of that time.

In the end I opted for less science and trusted my ear more but that obviously has it's limitations as well.

Hope you enjoyed the patch. Any suggestions are most welcome.

Keith

Can´t test it before i get my II, but i had one of these once. This is some of the effects i remember as a "must have", but can´t get right now-effects. Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom