Rock God Tone

Horganovski

Experienced
Eureka! I've been searching for a really over the top classic rock tone with my Axe FX II XL for a while and think I've just found it :)
It uses the 'Brit Pre' amp model which is based on an amp I've used for years, the Marshall JMP-1 Preamp. I tweaked a few settings and swapped the tone stack from the default one to one from a Bassman and the thing just came alive in the best way.. First half is my YJM Strat, from the Blackdog-ish riffs onwards it's a PRS. Forgive the really over the top playing, the tone made me do it, honest.

Many thanks guys! Yeah I have a couple of patches here that were close, one (Slash Marshall) had the definition I wanted for faster runs but sounded a bit harsh when you'd let a note ring out, the other (Trainwreck) is nice and smooth but the notes get muddy with faster runs. This one, to quote Goldilocks, feels just right :)

Regarding the patch, I've already hooked up my weird control pedal setup to it so it probably won't have any volume on another system, but it's pretty easy to replicate - just take the 'Brit Pre' preset (patch #68 on my XL) switch the Tone Stack to Bassman and turn the Saturation to Ideal. The other tweaks I made are specific to the guitars I'm using so not that necessary.

I started using that as an amp when dimebucker(thank you dimebucker) posted the ada preset tone matches and I noticed how flat the tone match was so I tuned it a bit and it really can give you that 80's 90's vittoish sound

Yeah, it's funny for me because I've used a JMP-1 as my main tone for a long time but before I got the AFX it had started getting a bit unreliable so I'd kind of fallen out of love with it. Then when I got the AFX I though 'why use the emulation of that when there are lots of other cool amps like the Splawns, Wreckers and various Marshalls'. But I just couldn't get that sound I was trying to get, it sounded good in the room but either too ice-picky or too muddy when recorded. But this model with the altered tone stack just sings while still having loads of definition.

Here's what I called the patch by the way - because it's one louder innit? :D

Jmp2.jpg

Here's the same basic tone used in a different context, a mellow improv with huge (Deep Space) reverb. I created the pad in the background by using the reverb hold function and recording some of that into the Axe looper. The amp responds pretty nicely to rolling off the volume a little. More than a real JMP-1 in my experience!

great space melody! please do not take offense but the drone gets old. try setting up a foot switch so you can change the pitch of the drone once and a while.

Thanks! and no offense taken, this was just a quick jam so I didn't put much work into it. I didn't even use a DAW to record it, it's straight out of the XLR outs from the Axe to a little Tascam digital dictaphone (I have that permanently hooked up to my Axe so I can just hit record any time I get a little riff that's inspiring me).

I have another patch where I can switch on a pitch shifter to drop the looper down an octave, must try that next time, or I might even hook up another expression pedal so that I can vary that pitch shift too.

please need this patch sounds just great.
gig tomorrow maby i can come up with a nice into for one of the songs love the reverb thing there.
:lol

Regarding the patch, I've already hooked up my weird control pedal setup to it so it probably won't have any volume on another system, but it's pretty easy to replicate - just take the 'Brit Pre' preset (patch #68 on my XL) switch the Tone Stack to Bassman and turn the Saturation to Ideal. The other tweaks I made are specific to the guitars I'm using so not that necessary.

After that it's just a matter of switching the reverb to the Deep Space type, connecting the Reverb hold to a footswitch and adding a looper block.

There's no point in me sharing the patch though because unless you have and MFC, 4 expression pedals and 4 footswitches set up exactly the same way I have it won't really work on another system, sorry my setup is a little weird!

Back
Top Bottom