Rock band Genesis to reunite for first tour in 13 years

Maybe these puns aren't bad in your eyes, but in the afterglow of the announcement I do hope and pray that they would get Peter Gabriel to join them, but at this point they are probably in too deep and have taken it all too hard to put things behind them. I would love for them to tell me why that can't just be friends for a bit and act like its just a job to do and let fans enjoy one last performance. Sure, it's gonna get better, but this comment will prob die in oblivion. In this current land of confusion, sometime you have to work behind the lines and be a man of the times. That's all.

If Waters can do a one off with Pink Floyd, then Gabriel can be there.

I guess I don't understand carrying all that old baggage around for all those years.

Either way, it's not of terrible interest to me. I like Genesis, but the premium prices these reunions are generally prohibitive to me.

Peter Gabriel's solo career was (not*) way way bigger than Gabriel-era Genesis, and probably (not*) also bigger than Genesis at their commercial peak when Phil Collins was the lead singer. While it would be cool to see them all together, it kinda doesn't make sense when you think about it. Unless it was gonna be a dual-bill with two headliners - Peter Gabriel and Genesis (with Phil).

(*edit - wrong I was!)

Last edited:
Peter Gabriel's solo career was way way bigger than Gabriel-era Genesis, and probably also bigger than Genesis at their commercial peak when Phil Collins was the lead singer. While it would be cool to see them all together, it kinda doesn't make sense when you think about it. Unless it was gonna be a dual-bill with two headliners - Peter Gabriel and Genesis (with Phil).
I am a big Peter Gabriel fan but Phil-led Genesis and Phil solo were far more commercially successful. I think the part of the problem is that most of the popular Genesis songs are sung by Phil which is awkward for Peter. Also, Phil can no longer play drums so he would not play on Peter songs.
It would be cool if they all just agreed to do a Genesis family tour and played a mix of all their material together in some form, but it didn’t happen for the last reunion so I doubt it will happen this round.

I am a big Peter Gabriel fan but Phil-led Genesis and Phil solo were far more commercially successful. I think the part of the problem is that most of the popular Genesis songs are sung by Phil which is awkward for Peter. Also, Phil can no longer play drums so he would not play on Peter songs.
It would be cool if they all just agreed to do a Genesis family tour and played a mix of all their material together in some form, but it didn’t happen for the last reunion so I doubt it will happen this round.
You're totally right! I only had to google album sales. It just seemed like Gabriel solo had a lot of big radio and video hits, which he did compared to Garbriel-era Genesis.

I agree, a wider reunion thing with solo material would make a great show. Oh well.

If Waters can do a one off with Pink Floyd, then Gabriel can be there.

I guess I don't understand carrying all that old baggage around for all those years.

Either way, it's not of terrible interest to me. I like Genesis, but the premium prices these reunions are generally prohibitive to me.
It may be just as much Gabriel not wanting to do it as the other three not wanting him there. Just because the baggage is old doesn’t mean that everyone just forgets that they essentially don’t want to be around each other, no matter how much $$$ or can service can be gained. I can show you some of the people in my life that I haven’t seen for 30 years for a reason. I’m not suddenly gonna wanna tour with any of them.
As for the prices, agreed. I’ll wait for Netflix.

Last edited:
I loved Genesis with Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett. It was a different band without them, but still a great band.

Maybe these puns aren't bad in your eyes, but in the afterglow of the announcement I do hope and pray that they would get Peter Gabriel to join them, but at this point they are probably in too deep and have taken it all too hard to put things behind them. I would love for them to tell me why that can't just be friends for a bit and act like its just a job to do and let fans enjoy one last performance. Sure, it's gonna get better, but this comment will prob die in oblivion. In this current land of confusion, sometime you have to work behind the lines and be a man of the times. That's all.
Yeah but
It’s not just a job. If any of these guys wanted jobs they wouldn’t be Genesis, they’d be Phil at the insurance company and Mike the Vauxhall salesman or whatever. Even if the tour is one final cash grab they’re still in too deep to think of it as just a job.

It’s not necessarily bad feelings, a lot of times folks move on, want to discover other things. Most of Gabriel’s career has been about experimentation and discovery. Genesis, not so much...
I‘ve seen Gabriel live twice and I‘ve seen Genesis live twice in their glory days with Phil fronting. Both were amazing, both were very different styles. I’ll stick to those super memories.

Back
Top Bottom