RME Fire Face 400, is it worth buying?

Izzyprad

Inspired
Ok, currently I have an Echo Mia 24/96, and I use it to record my guitar tracks. All I need is 2 x Analog inputs and Analog outputs to record and monitor. Recently, I have been thinking about upgrading my audio interface to RME Fireface 400, but I am not sure if it is worth the upgrade. They are expensive! I might be able to get one for $900 off the eBay, where as Echo mia are only $150 new (?).

My question is how much of a difference will I notice with this upgrade? If Apogees were available for PC, I would have definitely bought that, but that being not available, I think my best option is to buy RME Fire Face. I know, RME has similar product, i.e. RME babyface, but on the long run, Fire face might be a better choice.

Can anyone explain, if it is really worth? Once again, I need this to only record guitar tracks (Metal), for 2 x 1/4" analog in, 2 x XLR, and 2-4 monitor out would be more than enough. What I am looking for is a world class A/D and D/A converter, and maybe good preamps for XLR, incase if I need to use mic.

Last edited:
I upgraded from a Delta 1010LT to the FF400. It was night and day as far as sound quality. I only wish it had a dedicated gain knob for each input channel. The one good thing about RME is the rock solid drivers. You may also want to check out the Focusrite Saffire pro 40. You can get one for about $475. I can't comment on the drivers but I've heard good things about them. I almost bought one but funds needed to be allocated elsewhere.

Last edited:
I went through the same thing about a year ago and discovered in the end my Echo Gina still did the job for me when I needed a PC. I currently use Logic and the MOTU travelbook and I have to say that the travelbook is really good but the Echo Gina's sound quality seems SLIGHTLY better. I moved all my stuff to a Hackintosh as an experiment and didn't want to pay $500 for the Apogee Duet. I'll probably upgrade to the Apogee Duet if I can find a used one. They are hard to find though.

Thanks for the reply.

I am looking for an audio interface that can record my guitar tracks exactly as I hear when played. So what I am mainly looking for is - Bst A/D and D/A converters. I have heard lots of good thing about RME, but just not sure if it is worth paying $1300. I will probably be working on an album soon, so I need to make sure they are the best!

Most probably, I will be using 1/4" analog outputs from Axe FX Standard.

I have the fireface 400. Drivers are excellent and so are the ad/da converter. You get pristine recording, you don't need to use the digital ins. I plug the Axefx outputs directly to the analogs in of the fireface and let the converter do their job! At the lowest sampling res, I get vitualy no delay, like 1ms or so, it's fantastic, you can't go wrong, and it is built rock solid, like any German gear.

I have had a FF400 for quite a few years now. I used it with a windows machine and currently with a Mac. Driver support has been very good but they did have an issue with the MAC drivers last year. It took a while to get a problem resolved with 'hot-swapping' the device. They were working on it but couldn't get it right for a while. They finally did after a OSX update took place.

The 400 is a great unit. Mine took a power hit and has been in for repair twice now. They just aren't the same after a lightning strike. Not that any device isn't. I thought about getting the newer Fireface UC but I do have a long cable run from where my laptop sits to the audio interface. The Babyface is nice but no where near as flexible because of the limited IO. It does have some new features that are nice, Totalmix with FX.

Total Mix really make the 400 an outstanding unit. The routing you can do is incredible. You many not have the need now but having the flexibility is a great benefit. The coverters and mic pres are pretty damn good.

He said he was going to use it with his standard, so he'd still need some sort of interface....unless running the digital outs which might save you having to buy the interface altogether......

Haven't had a FF400, but had a pcmcia Multiface, FF800 and now FF UFX. I think RME stuff is great. I'm not sure that their conversion is absolute top of the world, but it's really good. Their drivers are amazing though, and, as previously noted, Total Mix is the bomb. Practically any small-medium studio routing issue you might have, Total Mix can deal with. It's the most flexible routing software I know of for any interface. I've also found (as do most people) that their drivers are rock solid and latency performance is up with almost anything. RME supports their stuff really well. Their preamps are decent (the UFX's are actually quite good), but they're not amazing.

Can't say whether it's "the" thing for you, but it's really good gear. Used is a good way to go with them if you're saving ?.

Old thread I know, but yes, RME interfaces are superb... however, for half the money, you can get something which will also do an excellent job. Focusrite Saffire, Echofire and M-Audio etc all do great interfaces and a range of models depending on your personal input & output requirements
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom