RJM MM GT/16 First Impressions

MKeditor

Experienced
Having giving it a lot of thought, I decided that 12 buttons wouldn't allow me to do what I want and I don't like the idea of daisy-chaining. That in combination with liking the layout approach of the GT, fairly intuitive editor and excellent customer service led me to choose the RJM MMGT-16. It's only four buttons more but with all the other attributes, I was willing to pay what looks to be double what the FC-12 will be.

Fractal hasn't released the protocols for the Axe-FX III so I had to set it up to work as a generic midi controller. Ron from RJM was kind enough to walk me through a few of the trickier functions I desired. For example, My normal go to presets have two reverbs. One is used 90% of the time. I use the second one for big ambient textures. I wanted one switch that would toggle between the two, with a long press being the bypass. The only thing so far that I found that the GT can't currently do is assign preset buttons to whatever preset number you want. The have to go sequentially. A lot of people have embraced the method of arranging presets on the Axe-FX in the order they want. I'm used to being able to set up whatever combination I want on controllers. I made a suggestion to add that ability being that it seems the goal is for the GT to be the most advanced and versatile controller. Only time will tell.

Last night's rehearsal was the first outing for the III and the GT. They performed like champs. I love the look of the GT lit up on stage. It's the honeymoon phase but this could be the last controller I ever need.

MK_rig2018a.jpg

It’s usually better to rearrange preset order on the “brain” for large organization. I’d suggest this for any brand of processor. Consider the song/setlist options on the MMGT.

I do miss my 16 but I wasn’t using it while heavily testing and using the AX8 so I had to sell it.

+1.

Use Songs on the RJM to easily move presets around.

Been looking at the RJM products as an option.
Really hoping that the Fractal controllers will handle things well...and be available "sooner."
I'm assuming a few proprietary functions will set them apart and make them the MOST desirable. I really got along well with my MFC controllers and yet, still have a LF Pro as well.
Time will tell, love to hear how you enjoy things and/or what seems to be easiest and most challenging with the RJM gear.

Thanks for the post.

It’s usually better to rearrange preset order on the “brain” for large organization. I’d suggest this for any brand of processor. Consider the song/setlist options on the MMGT.

I do miss my 16 but I wasn’t using it while heavily testing and using the AX8 so I had to sell it.

I'm curious about your opinion. Since the Axe-FX has stock presets in the 1-12, you either have to overwrite them, move them or export those presets in order to keep them. I created mine starting with 400, which were blank. Therefore it's less work. Also if you have a gig that requires a different preset, you have to play musical chairs again instead of just changing the preset number on one preset button. I'm sure there's a logic that is not obvious to me. I look forward to reading your thoughts on this. :speechballoon:

I'm curious about your opinion. Since the Axe-FX has stock presets in the 1-12, you either have to overwrite them, move them or export those presets in order to keep them. I created mine starting with 400, which were blank. Therefore it's less work. Also if you have a gig that requires a different preset, you have to play musical chairs again instead of just changing the preset number on one preset button. I'm sure there's a logic that is not obvious to me. I look forward to reading your thoughts on this. :speechballoon:
Once you have Axe Manage Presets in Axe Edit, you can easily move them in large chunks.

With the Axe Fx II, when I got the XL+ I just loaded the factory presets into the other banks and then cleared out the first bank for my own.

it's best to organize things on the "brain" itself. then you aren't mapping things between controller and brain. it's way easier for Preset 1 to be Preset 1, rather than Preset 1 is now Preset 27 on the controller only. oh wait, or was it 26...

yes, factory presets start at Preset 1. but can you imagine if any product delivered with the first 100 slots empty? people would think something is wrong. so the blank/user slots are usually at the back of the factory presets. it's common practice to either move the Axe-Fx banks around or to just delete the Factory Presets in the first Bank so you can use it. many controllers can ONLY access the first 128 presets anyway, so many people have done this.

Factory Presets are always available to be reloaded, so there really is no issue with deleting them. with any new gear, i always go through Factory Presets, note down the ones i like, then i delete everything else. then i have access to whatever preset slots, and arrange things how i need to. i'd never go on a gig and step through factory presets to find that works for the next song i'm doing. there's no way i'd remember what each one sounds like anyway.

the MMGT can access up to 768 presets i think. so nothing needs to be moved up to the first 1 - 128 to be used.
Also if you have a gig that requires a different preset, you have to play musical chairs again instead of just changing the preset number on one preset button.
are you going between your own presets and then hunting down a Factory Preset for the "different preset" you mentioned?

if so, just copy the Factory Presets you know and use up to the 400 area that you use.

I only use my own. I have a few presets that are rarely used but are need once in a while. I just pop it in the bank for that gig then revert back after. It would be fab to have the option to just change one preset number on the RJM.

Back in the big rack days with my Ground Control Pro, I'd have it tell each device which preset I wanted. There was no moving presets on the units to match. That would have been a nightmare. As a result, I'm used to having the controller just tell the Axe-FX which preset. I know most guys doing it the way you suggest but it feels backwards to what I've always done. Nevertheless, I appreciate learning methods that differ from my own.

Last edited:
I only use my own. I have a few that rarely used but are need once in a while. I just pop it in the bank for that gig then revert after. It would be fab to have the option to just change one preset number on the RJM.
i still don't understand. why revert?

again, consider the song/setlist options for rearranging presets in a particular order, without actually moving them.

I remove the rarely used preset from the bank when the gig is done and put back my usual one.

I need to check out the song/setlist function to see what is possible. Thanks.

Glad you're enjoying yours. I'm a couple of months and a bunch of gigs in now, and I am still very satisfied with how it works, how easy it is to see what you're doing, and the ability to spread my functions across more physical buttons. One nice thing is how Ron, like Cliff, really listens to users, so if there is something that is a sticking point and can be changed he will do it. I've already seen user input incoporated into firmware changes in my short time using RJM. Fractal Audio and RJM are a great pairing.

The new firmware supporting the Axe-FX III allows you to switch channels by long pressing block IAs. This is a fabulous addition.

I'm really enjoying the new firmware, it's a major upgrade from the basic functions that were working before Ron got his hands on the programming data. I didn't upgrade until I had everything to mount the midi connections in my rack so only one 7 pin cable goes to front of stage. It is in every way superior to any foot controller I have used previously. Very satisfied customer.

Reactions: Fro
Rick, I just got the MM-16 and I am in the process of getting ready to gig it with my Axe II. If you are on a scene and want it to revert back to the previous scene on a second press what is the programming to complete that process if you have run into that setup.

Back
Top Bottom