RJM MasterMind GT - Experience, anyone?

decasta

Anyone have any experience using the RJM MasterMind GT with the Axe-FX units?

It seems like this blows the MFC-101 out of the water... but it also more than twice the price. Any ideas?

Just looked it up. Holy smokes that's overkill (for me). But it seems like a tweaker's wet dream. Look at all of those LED screens.

What do you use Jacko?

I think all I might need now is just a GCP. The price is not overbearing, and I can access presets AND the pedal loops in the Axe-FX.

Unless you guys have something else in mind?

Mine's in the mail as we speak, should hopefully be here in the next week :)

I'll let you know how it goes once I'm set up! I was thinking about the liquid foot but I placed a couple of purchase requests and never heard back, and being prone to buyer's remorse I thought why not get the biggest and baddest - that's how I ended up with the axefx 2 :)

Mine's in the mail as we speak, should hopefully be here in the next week :)

I'll let you know how it goes once I'm set up! I was thinking about the liquid foot but I placed a couple of purchase requests and never heard back, and being prone to buyer's remorse I thought why not get the biggest and baddest - that's how I ended up with the axefx 2 :)

Same experience here with LF. Got fed up and bought an MFC, which suits my purposes just fine.

I purchased one (Thursday 1/10/2013) and first on the next 20 list. Sherri and Ron call me when I send an email with a question. Thats real service. Having spent big dollars on the Axe ultra and now the Axe II and a MFC101. The MFC with kick tags and midi uno to upload FW versions….. I can't complain to much about the GT Mastermind and if ya got in for the preorder it was around $1600-$1800. Luv the lcd screens and being able to change the color. Easier to see, program and change order of buttons around. With 2 amps, Axe II, RG-16 Ver2 and Mini amp gizmo I couldn't get the MFC to do what I wanted and maybe it does but hell the GT makes it simple. USB to connect to computer and a usb slot to save to a thumb drive is awesome. Coming out with an editor to make it even more easy.

I have seen some guys drop coin on stuff just to turn around and sell it for a loss, high $$$ guitars, its all a matter of what you want or need. Ron and Sherri are great people and go way beyond the norm to help answer any questions so I am very happy to help them and buy something I want. I also looked at liq ft

So it arrived last Friday!

I haven't had heaps of time to play with it just yet, but what I've found so far is very impressive.

My setup is pretty simple with just the Axefx II and the Mastermind GT, but there's so much flexibility to make things work with a more complicated rig like jlbaxe's.

Initial setup of the device is a piece of cake, it really is as simple as the in youtube videos. I did run into a small problem which was user error though, me being a noob and all - make sure separate connected devices are setup to be transmitted to on different midi channels. I left the default rack gizmo device there set up alongside the axefx and both were set to midi channel one, which produced some funny results.

Having the 23 displays makes it so easy to navigate and configure settings, even manually typing preset and button names is really quick. The buttons have a light touch to trigger them, but have an audible click as well. Much lighter than say my 6505+ footswitch which would take a fair bit of finger pressure to operate. I suggest putting on a desk when getting things set up.

As jblaxe said there's an editor coming out soon but honestly it's so intuitive and easy to pick up that you probably won't need it. Would be good though for sharing settings amongst users like axe-edit though.

One thing I haven't played around with much yet is scenes but that's next on the to do list.

I waiting on mine to get here but I haven't had any problems with RJM products or Service. As for the money…. I had the MFC101 and paid good bit of change for it and although it is a great pedal it had me frustrated and wouldn't play nice with my setup. I will report back on the use and $$$ to value.

I think for my setup it may objectively be a bit overkill but I'm not unhappy with the price I paid - I got in on the presale price for $1700 btw. It would be nice if they offered a smaller version, but as I said earlier I'd probably end up regretting not getting this one. So I think it was worth it, very happy with what I got. Plus as jlbaxe mentioned, the customer service Ron and Sherri provide is first class so you don't need to worry about that side of things.

In the end it comes down to your needs, wants, and how much cash you can afford to part with. The MFC-101 is a hell of a lot cheaper and if your setup is simple like mine then you don't really need anymore than that, and the benefit is that whenever new features come out for the axe fx then they will be supported straight up.

Back
Top Bottom