Rituals before you play live?

Whether is is amount and type of alcohol to doo rags and do-dads you have to have on hand or in place
Whether is is amount and type of alcohol to doo rags and do-dads you have to have on hand or in place?
For me it's about what NOT to do before I go out and play. My main 2, don't drink and don't tinker with s**t. That about it! When I drink I lose the feel of the guitar like as if there's some sort of wall between my belly and the back of the body idk it's fn strange. And secondly, my dudes always say, Bill shit sounds awesome why are u dickin' around with ur shit. But at least I know after I'm done and start crushing cans I won't mess with my gear let alone want to even play! I wish I was that guy but God selected otherwise which is perfectly fine w/this guy because well, I'm obsessed with being HOME! Sober or not 🤷‍♂️😎

A guy I used to play with had a Les Paul Custom, one of the "fretless wonders" and he NEVER cleaned the fingerboard. The grunge was visible from ten feet away, and, of course, was built-up around the frets. It was disgusting.

I knew a guy who played a rosewood Strat in the same grungy condition....just horrible. His strings were ancient and completely corroded; when you slid your hand/fingers up and down the fretboard you were in danger of the strings cutting into your fingers they were so rough and raw. I'd have gotten a tetanus shot if I did...seriously. I was baffled how he could play a guitar in that condition....and that's not even talking about the cruddy fingerboard....🤢

I knew a guy who played a rosewood Strat in the same grungy condition....just horrible. His strings were ancient and completely corroded; when you slid your hand/fingers up and down the fretboard you were in danger of the strings cutting into your fingers they were so rough and raw. I'd have gotten a tetanus shot if I did...seriously. I was baffled how he could play a guitar in that condition....and that's not even talking about the cruddy fingerboard....🤢
Hey shit happens, a wife...kids... that happens too! Do you know his story? Maybe he's dealing w his wife.
Maybe he's tied up playing "daddy dragon"
or some shit. Don't judge

My bass player and I have a rule to never eat before a show.

There was one gig where we got some street tacos before our set, and neither of us ended up making it through the set without having to jump off the stage and run through the crowd to the lone shitty club bathroom.

They were some damn tasty tacos. But that waits til after the show now.

There was one gig where we got some street tacos before our set, and neither of us ended up making it through the set without having to jump off the stage and run through the crowd to the lone shitty club bathroom.

Better street tacos than some grey sushi you picked up at a gas station. Learned my lesson.

I just grab a pint about 15 mins before start time - drink half, tune guitars and play.

If any other local groups or members from groups turn up in the audience our singer will point them out to the rest of the crowd know and say 'Ladies and Gents I'd just like to make you aware that <name(s)> from <name of group> are in tonight..... so if you know any places they can find gigs please let them know' .... that usually breaks the ice on any nerves!

Dude farting on stage, with full band hiding the sound, is the best. EVERYONE knows this!
That satisfaction when you release a whole torpedo of air and you instantly feel light as fuck.....AND.....you just did it in front of 250 people with a guitar strapped on and smiling. Simply amazing and to be enjoyed thoroughly by all that partake.

I adhere to the old showbiz adage: take your wallet onstage with you.
Chances are your wallet is the least interesting thing to would be thieves that you have with you.

I once had a gig where I was fighting a massive log that wanted to get out. I remember very few things of that gig other prancing around on stage, trying to hold it in until the setlist break would come.
Silently pray there's not a guitarist in the audience.
Why bother? Just ignore them, they're the lamest audience ever. Always standing there, arms folded across her chest, not giving you any energy, always that look on their face that says I can do better! In fact I should be up there, not you! Never bother to play for other guitarists. Just ignore them and play for the people that might actually appreciate what you're doing.

I had a few rituals that included alcohol, anxiety attacks, and multiple trips to the head. Then 8 years ago I joined a band that plays 60-70 gigs a year now my only ritual is to take an afternoon nap. No more time for any other nonsense… lol. Now I find being on stage is calming.

I'm basically Eminem I'm the beginning of 8 mile playing in front of all 3 people. Then i proceed to unlearn anything that would be beneficial to get through the song. I prefer to get tense so i can't solo and forget my parts.

Oh great times

Silently pray there's not a guitarist in the audience.

Ah, nothing like the folded arms, head tilted slightly, and arms crossed of a guitarist watching and judging you!

That bothered a lot more at 20 than 50.

When I’m in the audience I try to make a point to be the opposite nowadays. Pay it forward!

Back
Top Bottom