Ripping country tele tone?

Looking for a preset to get me started on a ripping compressed in your face chickin pickin tone in the style of John5/Brad Paisley for my new country metal imstrumental. Is there a factory preset leaning that direction?

If you're looking for something with grit, I really like the country tones I've been getting from the Matchless DC-30 presets I've made. Usually I'll run the matchless cab IRs (a 57 and 121) in stereo and pair it with the London Plate reverb and it's gold.

I'd recommend starting by listening to Andy Wood's song Smoke Wagon. He's a Fractal Artist and gets great tones with his FX3, so then watch his latest video where he's playing with his newly opened FM3 and listen to the tones he gets, especially the Smoke Wagon preset he plays through several times. I had some good headphones on listening to what he was getting and was really impressed with the sound.

You can get the Smoke Wagon preset for $5 on his website and it sounds just like the sound in the song. You can all the presets he was messing with for $25.

Last edited:
Most guys around here that do the traditional-ish country stuff play quite clean and use a clean-ish Fender amp, pedal compressor and for some reason (again, I guess traditional) their main FX of choice are phaser?
Or you could go grittier / more modern like Brad Paisley and check out the Dr. Z offerings or Matchless as listed above.
Unless you are going total modern country rock (ie. Jason Aldean) and just use a Marshall, Mesa, lol... that's basically what I do when we add "country" songs like Country Girl Shake It, She's Country, etc... you know, all the "bro-country" stuff.

On his website, it’s a preset for a AXE lll not the FM3.
Talking about Andy Woods? Don't be fooled. There's no difference between an Axe III and an FM3 preset if the preset will fit into the FM3, which his do with a tiny bit of block moving and occasionally using Feedback Send and Return blocks. I also remove shunt blocks because they waste CPU. It took me about five minutes to adjust the pack to fit into my FM3 and the presets sound fine.

I also thought, having that pack in FM3 format would be nice. Especially the new Lonestar based preset he demoed in the aforementioned YT clip.

No, good software development practices say the final version should be available, not a beta. Ares 3.03 on FM3 is in beta (3.03b) so when 3.03 releases they'll move on.

That allows people to stay on the final version that's as bug-free as possible, while waiting for the new version to stabilize if they're concerned about it.

They could release them in parallel, but that's unlikely. I'd always want my code to have a couple days to settle in, in case, by an off-chance, there was a bug that snuck in at the last minute.

Talking about Andy Woods? Don't be fooled. There's no difference between an Axe III and an FM3 preset if the preset will fit into the FM3, which his do with a tiny bit of block moving and occasionally using Feedback Send and Return blocks. I also remove shunt blocks because they waste CPU. It took me about five minutes to adjust the pack to fit into my FM3 and the presets sound fine.
Would you be able to screen shot the blocks on how you adjusted the preset? I’m not sure on how to use the send and return blocks. Thanks

Would you be able to screen shot the blocks on how you adjusted the preset? I’m not sure on how to use the send and return blocks. Thanks
See the FX3/FM3 comparison in the Wiki for an idea of things that have to be considered when tweaking. Sometimes a particular block is essential to the sound and then there's no way to make it work. Sometimes a different block can be substituted to replicate the sound or to reduce the CPU demands; It's experimenting and experience and picking what things are the most important to you. You can often grab an FX3 preset by @Burgs or Leon Todd (@2112) and import it into the FM3 then watch their video as they build or demo the preset and recreate the layout. (This would be a good topic for either or both of them, along with how to design FX3 presets that will fit in either platform.)

There is at least one factory preset showing how to use the Feedback blocks and they're documented in the Blocks manual and in the Wiki. The only trick is that the Feedback Return block has its level turned off as a precaution against runaway feedback so you have to turn it up to pass signal.

Since Andy Wood has already converted them I'm sure he'd be happy to send the FM3 version of a preset once you've purchased it.

In short, to adjust a preset I move the Out 1 block down a row and add a Feedback Send 1 in its old spot. Then I add a Feedback Return 1 block in front of the moved Out 1 block with some intervening empty blocks and connect them, then I move occupied blocks from the upper row into the new lower row as makes sense. That's all done on my FX3, and when I'm done I export the preset and import it on the FM3.

If you don't have an FX3 then quickly go back in time about a month and order one before the prices go up. :)

Last edited:
If you're looking for something with grit, I really like the country tones I've been getting from the Matchless DC-30 presets I've made. Usually I'll run the matchless cab IRs (a 57 and 121) in stereo and pair it with the London Plate reverb and it's gold.
Thanks Scott! I will check it out. Thanks for your reply.

Back
Top Bottom