RIP XL+...?

If it is not used outside (left overnight outside in a cold environment, and then heats up when used after being cold) the unit will sweat inside and corrosion can eventually occur on the circuit board if this happens many times. Also dusting the unit out with compressed air or a specialized electronic vacuum will always help. Deoxit d5 can help clean corrosion and protect from further damage.

To those who wonder about breakdowns, I've got a pair of late 80's, early 90's Korg A2 and A3, who still work. If those old things still keep on working I'm not worried about my XL and XL+. If only because the Korgs look absolutely flimsy in comparison.

You guys all talk like it’s dead but it’s most definitely alive in my world.
Amp , cab, reverb = pure bliss
For me this is the year the drive pedal died!

Cliff - very roughly how many xl+ machines are out there? Are we talking 10s of thousands? 100s of thousands?

I've got a pair of late 80's, early 90's Korg A2 and A3

I've got an A3 too, in near mint condition. Works great. Bought it from a guy who ordered it new, from a local guitar shop, back in the 80's when they first came out.

The worst thing you can do, with gear like this, is let them sit for long periods of time, without turning them on. Over time, the capacitors in the power supplies tend to leak. Very similar to how batteries leak over time, with lack of use.

Believe it or not, you can still find parts for the A3. I was able to find some old EPROM's that I used to rewrite the assembly language code to fix the issue the A3 had with forgetting the OMNI and MIDI settings when you power the unit off. I've also seen people selling parts from failed units, that may or may not have been repairable.

I'm sure, in the future, there will be parts available for the MK-I, MK-II, XL and XL+. It's like owning an F-150, there are so many of them out there, it's easy to find spare parts! I still have a 2000, F-150 that I've been able to keep on the road, thanks to readily available parts, either new or from the wreckers.

Last edited:
Start mounting a single interchangeable, bypassable tube in the III and I'm sold based purely on the fact that it will mean it is more likely to appreciate than depreciate in value lol

I've been using an original AxeFX II for 7 years and barely scratch the surface of its capabilities.
Same! My machine is the XL+ and only after 2 yrs with it I still only understand about 15%of it. That's less than what I "should" know I suppose lol

I’m very happy with the Axe 2 xl+... I bought mind last year just before the 3 came out (wish I knew that was going to happen, I would have spran for the 3 ) I also bought the Ultra in 2008... no issues, and still use it for rehearsals. For me... as long as it can still be serviced if something should happen I’m good for years.

I’m very happy with the Axe 2 xl+... I bought mind last year just before the 3 came out (wish I knew that was going to happen, I would have spran for the 3 ) I also bought the Ultra in 2008... no issues, and still use it for rehearsals. For me... as long as it can still be serviced if something should happen I’m good for years.

Surprised you didn't know that would happen since you've had the Ultra and seen how that all played out, very similar to how the 3 came out and replaced the 2's including the Xl+.

I would challenge anyone to name another electronics product (or any other product for that matter) that maintained its position as the uncontested "top of the line" of any device of its type for seven years straight, and only lost that position finally because its successor was released by the same manufacturer.

I would challenge anyone to name another electronics product (or any other product for that matter) that maintained its position as the uncontested "top of the line" of any device of its type for seven years straight, and only lost that position finally because its successor was released by the same manufacturer.
Maybe the h3000 from eventide. That had a great run.

Surprised you didn't know that would happen since you've had the Ultra and seen how that all played out, very similar to how the 3 came out and replaced the 2's including the Xl+.
Not surprised... Just wish I knew it was going to happen within a couple of weeks after I got the 2 from Fractal. I would’ve waited, that’s all.

The iPod.

I've got an A3 too, in near mint condition. Works great. Bought it from a guy who ordered it new, from a local guitar shop, back in the 80's when they first came out.

The worst thing you can do, with gear like this, is let them sit for long periods of time, without turning them on. Over time, the capacitors in the power supplies tend to leak. Very similar to how batteries leak over time, with lack of use.

Good to know. I'll be switching them on then from time to time.

Believe it or not, you can still find parts for the A3. I was able to find some old EPROM's that I used to rewrite the assembly language code to fix the issue the A3 had with forgetting the OMNI and MIDI settings when you power the unit off. I've also seen people selling parts from failed units, that may or may not have been repairable.

Didn't you sell those on a Edge guitar tone yahoo group? Somebody did, I think I even bought one of those. Haven't soldered it in yet, it's in my bag of IC components somewhere I think.

I'm sure, in the future, there will be parts available for the MK-I, MK-II, XL and XL+. It's like owning an F-150, there are so many of them out there, it's easy to find spare parts! I still have a 2000, F-150 that I've been able to keep on the road, thanks to readily available parts, either new or from the wreckers.

Well, considering that for being obsolete ware they still blow the competition *cough* Line 6 *cough* out of the water why shouldn't they be used and in demand for many years to come. People still use the original Red Bean, why not the Standard or Ultra? I reckon those are now great entry units into the digital realm for a very good 2nd hand price.

The iPod.

Do people still use those? Other then that I found having to use i-Tunes, worst music player EVER, a disaster in order to load mp3's onto my iPod, what use is a dedicated MP3 player when I carry all that music already on my smart phone?

To those who wonder about breakdowns, I've got a pair of late 80's, early 90's Korg A2 and A3, who still work. If those old things still keep on working I'm not worried about my XL and XL+. If only because the Korgs look absolutely flimsy in comparison.

I still have my Korg AX30G, AX30B, AX300G and AX300B multi FX pedals and they all still work. They have awesome FXs but I've been able to replicate most of them on my Axe-Fx II.

The Axe-Fx II is the best piece of gear I've ever owned. I still have my XL+ but sold my MK I to get an Axe-Fx III.

I still use a Yamaha DG Stomp. I don't think the price/performance factor on that box has ever been approached, let alone equaled or surpassed.

When/if I gig in the foreseeable future, it will be with a IIXL. The III will stay in the recording rack at home.

Didn't you sell those on a Edge guitar tone yahoo group? Somebody did, I think I even bought one of those. Haven't soldered it in yet, it's in my bag of IC components somewhere I think.

Yep, that was me! :)

No soldering required, EPROM sits in a socket.

The iPod.
Not even close. Apple released a new iPod with upgraded cpu, features, memory etc. about every 18 months on average. The old classics used the same, or very similar ARM CPUs for most of their production cycle, but they were no where near the top of the iPod line by the end of that timespan.

Back
Top Bottom