RIP Ric Ocasek

When I lived in NYC in the eighties I (apparently) lived near enough to him that I would occasionally see him out with Paulina. Interesting couple.

Back then I saw that "You Might Think" video so many times it's etched into my brain.

Man, so sad.

Loved the band loved the man.

The Female keyboard player in my first good band taught me to sing harmonies listening to Let’s go. Listened to the Cars on my Walkman every day riding the T to Berklee.

The band was always hanging around Berklee in the early 80’s. You could always see Rick walking down the sidewalk, he was so tall. I met Greg Hawks and Elliot Easton a few times.

My friend was a waitress at The Top of the Hub. A really fancy seafood restaurant at the top of the Prudential building. Rick came in with Paula on one of their first dates. My friend seated them at the window and set up a privacy screen so they could eat.

Ocasek left her a $1000 tip. That was like 2 months rent in 1981.

I grew up only really hearing the Beatles at a young age. The Cars were the first current band I listened to thanks to my older brother getting the album Candy-O. We must have listened to that hundreds of times. He was such a great songwriter. The arrangements on their songs are equally impressive. There are different guitar parts for him and Elliot Easton and then multiple keyboards from Greg Hawkes. It’s all so intricate without sounding busy or muddy. RIP.

Back
Top Bottom