RIP Mandela

One of my absolute heroes. Even when his captors treat him like an animal, he responded with dignity, and spoke to their light, not their darkness, to the point that many completely let go of their racism, cheered when he was released, and some even became lifelong friends. May he rest in peace and joy; he earned it more than most...

Just goes to show that everyone deserves a second chance. He started out as a terrorist and ended up as an icon of peace, justice and reconciliation.

What a remarkable life.

Completely confused why 'communism' has been brought into this. What's the relation with terrorism?

Also, I don't doubt if the label 'terrorism' is correct here; a black majority was being suppressed by a violent, racist minority. The Netherlands were occupied by the Germans in WW II. Should the Dutch who fought the Germans during the occupation ('underground') be labeled as terrorists?

Completely confused why 'communism' has been brought into this. What's the relation with terrorism?

Also, I don't doubt if the label 'terrorism' is correct here; a black majority was being suppressed by a violent, racist minority. The Netherlands were occupied by the Germans in WW II. Should the Dutch who fought the Germans during the occupation ('underground') be labeled as terrorists?

You get my point! :encouragement:

I concur. The Fathers of the US revolt against Britain could be labeled as such. Here, they are called Heros and we've built cities, schools, and monuments in their honor for gaining our independence. It depends on your perspective.

Mandella ultimately forgave his oppressors and changed a country forever, through peaceful means.

This isn't the time to make cheap remarks about what he did as a young man. He definitely made up for it. Remember that now, forget the rest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communist_terrorism

If the Germans won, yes.

Someone's terrorist is someone else's freedom fighter.

PS: The winners write History

Last edited:
PS: The winners write History

A big part of Mandela's greatness is that he didn't try to make the whites "the losers." He attempted to bring justice and freedom to the oppressed and forgiveness and understanding to the oppressors. He dealt with the situation in moral and spiritual terms and attempted to bring positive redemptive outcomes for all involved. It's the way around the "winners write history" paradigm. Everyone has a stake and a responsibility in the outcome and all can benefit. Seems to me what some people are trying to do with the Israel/Palestine situation, but fundamentalists on both sides would rather die than reconcile which makes it infinitely harder to achieve.

Back
Top Bottom