RIP Malcom

While not unexpected, this news is very sad. AC/DC was absolutely huge in my circle of friends in the late 70's and one of my favorite bands ever. His contributions to the band and influence on rock guitar players cannot be understated. Swatting out clean-ish, huge power chords and riffs with his Gretsch, heavy guage strings, and Marshalls was a thing of beauty and pure rock awesomeness. A true originator. I'm going to watch "Let There Be Rock" in tribute to his brilliance.

Enjoy what, and whom, we have left...in a few years all of my/our 60's/70's rock musicians that we hold dear are going to fade into memory. Almost nothing else makes me feel as old as when musicians from my wonder years pass. Last night we did a mini tribute set for musicians that have recently passed and touched our band members (Tom Petty, Gord Downie, Kenny Shields) and am truly bummed to have another one to pay tribute to so soon.

Much respect Malcolm Young; you were a unique, creative, original talent and a giant in the hard rock world...and you'll be forever missed and remembered.

My teacher always used to say, when dialing in a high gain tone, use Malcolm Young as a reference for dialing your dry amp tone. From there, you can always use a boost to get into metal territory or simply use your picking dynamics to control the level of clipping in your tone.

Ironically I was playing through some of my usual ac/dc riffs when it came up on my news feed. I think it's safe to say his music and song/riff writing will live on. For me personally, ac/dc came up with the catchiest hook lines of any band.

For any beginner they are pretty simple chords, but to play correctly you have to be Malcolm Young.

God Bless Malcolm. Without him Angus would be flailing around without that ROCK SOLID behind him.

Back
Top Bottom