RIP Jim Seals (Seals & Crofts)

Sad to read this.

When I was a kid in the days before cable TV, there was a pay (broadcast, scrambled) service called WHT. In the summer of my 12th year, we'd sneak to my friend's TV room after his parents were asleep to watch prohibited "slasher" B-movies. The Hills Have Eyes. Don't Go In The House. That sort of thing. On many nights that summer , those films were preceded by the broadcast of a Seals and Crofts live concert. We came to know (and I came to like) every song, but we were of course most happy when their show ended (with "Diamond Girl") so the frightfest could begin.

Early in my guitar journey I heard this song, and it was among the first few songs I learned to play acoustically purely by ear. My dad simply said "wow, great job" in the Summer of 2000.

Thank you Jim for making good music so simple and timeless. I think we tend to overcomplicate music, Seals & Croft made it "a breeze" and beautiful.

Very sad.....1st acoustic duo I was in, way, way back, We both played guitar and mandolin. We were one of the few duos at that time to do any Seal s& Crofts and do them justice. We did stuff like, Diamond Girl and Irish Linen.
They wrote some very beautiful songs. RIP Mr. Seals

Ahhh this is sad to hear...I've always loved these guys and "Summer Breeze" is a hugely powerful reminder of my days as a kid.

I remember when it was a hit and my grandfather took me for a walk to the corner ice cream shop on a beautiful, serene, summer day when I was about 5 or 6. I can remember waiting in line with a warm wind blowing and "Summer Breeze" playing over the AM radio; the words and spirit of the tune was a perfect reflection of what I was doing at the time...and everything was perfect in my little world. I was always completely captivated by the melody and chord changes in that song...big time.

To this day, that song is a potent emotional trigger that takes me right back to that laid-back, easygoing time when I was very young....it's astounding how certain pieces of music can evoke such deep memories and feelings.

RIP Mr. Seals....thanks for being a part of the musical tapestry of my youth...respect.

Last edited:
Yes sad indeed. And fun fact, his brother Dan Seals was England Dan of England Dan and John Ford Coley fame. I'd Really Love to See You Tonight's a great tune (And I'm not talking bout the linen :))

MM

Back
Top Bottom