RIP Greg Lake

In memory of one of my bass heroes, rest in peace, you giant.

I remember as a 6 year old starting at the gatefold of Tarkus and wondering how someone could play that bass line of the first movement of Tarkus (Eruption) so precisely.

Then this came out and it began my love affair with 12 string bass:

Sad.

An incredibly talented man. I think I listened to 'Brain Salad...' about a buillion times. Even though you know it's coming, seeing the musicians that formed who you are go is saddening.

And he wrote one of the least abhorrent Xmas songs that rock musicians do (shame on you McCartney and Elton.)

I got really into Yes in the mid 80s, and I read that ELP was another band like them. I saw Trilogy at my local music store and bought it. The first song, Endless Enigma, puzzled me (though it's now a favorite). The next song was From the Beginning, and that one grabbed me right away. Greg Lake's voice was amazing, rich, clear, powerful. His guitar playing is superb -- there's a very tricky acoustic run right before the guitar solo. The whole mood of the piece is mysterious and full of longing. It opened up a whole world.

RIP

I've been a recluse all day. This one hit me harder in the days That we lost Freddie mercury and John Lennon.

ELP and Greg Lake are my biggest musical influences. First LP I ever bought with my own money was brain salad surgery. First concert I ever bought tickets to was ELP. slept on the sidewalk for two nights to get front row seats to that one! First time ever took a date to a concert.

Greg Lake literally saved my life one night. I was about to do something very permanent on the night my Mother died and one of his songs talked me out of it. I owe every day from that night until today to him and now I'll never be able to tell him.

They said there will be snow at Christmas, but this year it will just be cold.

Such a titan of prog and music in general. His singular voice graced what I consider the first true prog album "In the Court of the Crimson King", which still stands up today as a brilliant album. Loved all his work with ELP, King Crimson, even Asia. He was very important to so many musicians and fans.

Wow.. seems like being featured in Bass Player magazine might NOT be a good thing.. that's THREE this year that passed right after being profiled in the mag.. RIP dude..

Back
Top Bottom