RIP Gord Downie ... The Tragically Hip

Okay, you made me scared, you did what you set out to do
And I'm not prepared, you really had me going there for a minute or two
He said, you made me scared too, I wasn't sure I was getting through
I got to go, it's been a pleasure doing business with you

Unlike a handful of famous singers who willingly took their own lives this year , Gordon wanted to live. He wanted to watch his boy grow up. THIS is an artist that people should mourn for.
I was just listening to the prime minister of Canada break down , in his acknowledgement of Gordon's death , over the radio.

Unlike a handful of famous singers who willingly took their own lives this year , Gordon wanted to live. He wanted to watch his boy grow up. THIS is an artist that people should mourn for.
I was just listening to the prime minister of Canada break down , in his acknowledgement of Gordon's death , over the radio.

Yes, sad day for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
RIP Mr. Downie...I really admired your courage going out on your final tour last year while knowing it was going to be your last. I was very touched by the way you soldiered though it all with grace, composure, and an indomitable spirit. Quite inspiring...much respect Gord.

A few things to add:

A quote I saw about Gord - "The Lead Singer Of Canada Has Died" - that sums it up.

When The Hip played their final concert in Kingston, the CBC played the whole concert with no ads. That amazed me, and I can't imagine any country in the world that would do that - no offense to any other country or band - but every nation and station would have a pay per view, endless ads and commentary. ALL of Canada was closed that day to watch that show.

I had the pleasure of seeing them several times, and the luxury of having a cottage near where Gord and his family lived, and saw him on the streets many times, and in true Canadian fashion, no-one would bother him in smalltown Ontario, they'd just smile, look, and say "that's Gord"

Sad day.

I highly recommend listening to the rebroadcast of the Strombo Show's Hip 30 tribute. 30 Canadian artists play a Hip song and talk about the impact Gord and the band had on them as artists, Canadians and people. Really well-done show. I was super happy to sit on the couch on NYE this year and take it all in.

http://www.cbcmusic.ca/posts/17763/strombo-show-tragically-hip-30

As for me, I'm going to attempt to relive this one more time:

Back
Top Bottom