RIP Glen Campbell.

This man's resume will be forever tough to beat, and he was hugely influential to my generation in many ways.

He went down hard but proud to a disease that claims more of us daily.

Glen was a tremendous guitar player. Although arguably better known as a singer, his guitar chops were among the best in his day. IMHO, he was a very under-rated player who never really got his due as a player, as his playing was overshadowed by his singing and his TV personality. I feel the same way about John Denver. He was a monster finger-picker. I mastered a few of his songs for my work as a solo artist. Certainly not for the intermediate finger-picker. Glen will be greatly missed, but I do hope his passing prompts younger players to check out his work. They will gain an appreciation for the master, Glen Campbell. The Wichita Lineman is gone from the line.

Sad day. Tremendous talent and personality. Take away all the top ten songs he penned and sang. Take away the variety shows, TV and Film appearances. Take away his getting his own show after filling in for the Smothers Brothers a few times. Take it all away and you are still left standing with a LA Session Musician who's accomplishments and credits are nothing less than LEGENDARY!

RIP Glen Campbell

Sad day. Tremendous talent and personality. Take away all the top ten songs he penned and sang. Take away the variety shows, TV and Film appearances. Take away his getting his own show after filling in for the Smothers Brothers a few times. Take it all away and you are still left standing with a LA Session Musician who's accomplishments and credits are nothing less than LEGENDARY!

RIP Glen Campbell

Thank you for that video!

I am not aware of any top ten songs he wrote.
He had 10 hits in the US country charts that went top ten. Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Campbell_discography

Edit: also six Grammys and nine ACM awards (not counting lifetime achievement and hall of fame awards).

I want to say he also played with The Monkees and The Hollies. Not sure how much writing he did for them though. He played on a lot of studio stuff like that.

Last edited:
although Campbell was a prolific songwriter, I do not believe any of his charting hits were written by him, many were penned by Jimmy Webb.

The lyrics of "I'm Not Gonna Miss You" can rip a person up if you know someone suffering from alzheimers, or even if you don't I suppose. Excellent guitar player.

Glen was my first guitar hero. The first songbook I ever bought back when I was in elementary school was a Glen Campbell book, just so I could learn Gentle on my Mind.

These past few years it's been hard to watch his health decline, and also to see the family battles that were going on (probably unbeknownst to him). I'm Facebook friends with his son Travis, and the battles between his kids and his latest wife have been ugly. His passing is a sad event, but it was also a blessing at this stage of his disease.

One of my all time favorite guitar influences. His stint with the "Wrecking Crew" during the 60's contributed to most of the hit songs during that era, including "The Beach Boys", "Mamas and Papas", "Frank Sinatra", and many, many others! Although he had his own demons, you won't find a soul (outside some of his own family) that has anything but admiration and respect for him. His own playing was modeled after Django Reinhardt. He was a great role model for all guitarists. Sad about his finale stages in life... Peace to him and his family.

RIP Mr. Campbell...I admired a lot of your music, playing, and accomplishments over the years. A sad day to be sure but he is now free from the pain and ailments that he's been battling over the last few years...rest easy...

I'll be singing Wichita Lineman as "Glen Campbell" this Saturday as part of an all-star tribute concert.

It's bit of a schizophrenic night for me. I'm also doing 70s & 80's David Bowie and John Denver.

Back
Top Bottom