RIP EVH

He had been seriously ill for some-time. Thought about him the other day, how he was doing etc.

Phhhhhh.. :(

There are people you gauge your location in life from, like human GPS. They are your steady points of reference, and it is disorienting when one suddenly is no longer there. This is a reality as you get older and lose more of your "satellites." Day 1 of life without Eddie, and the black hole where his satellite was is huge. Takes me back to August 1990, or December 1980, or September 1970. Zero years...

I'm very glad I got to see him live once in my time back in 2012. I remember the circumstances leading up to the show not being very ideal, but none the less I just enjoyed the show. Was a pleasure to see Eddie work his magic. Such an iconic sound. RIP to a legend

I was into soft rock in the late 70s. Then I heard Boston and I thought, wow, I like the sound of those guitars. Then I happen to hear a local radio station (probably the WRIF) was going to play an entire new album straight through. It was some band named Van Halen. Well, I thought I might as well record it, so I popped in a new cassette tape, selected the highest level of noise reduction available at the time (Dolby B? C?) and hit record. The rest is, as they say, history. I wore that tape out. Then bought all the albums, of course. Then bought a guitar, of course.

I wonder how guitars across the world were bought largely because of EVH? Talk about leaving a legacy.

RIP, Eddie.

He was to guitar what Bruce Lee was to martial arts. He did not only do it with perfection, but he made it fun and cool and inspired others to pick it up. I can't get over his performance and "acting" on the official video to "Jump" - that broad, cheeky, boyish grin on his face the whole time is just fantastic.
A lot of musicians have died in the recent years, and I do not know at all for whatever reason, but somehow Eddie Van Halen's death saddens me a lot more than the others'.

A lot of musicians have died in the recent years, and I do not know at all for whatever reason, but somehow Eddie Van Halen's death saddens me a lot more than the others'.

I think it was the smile and the music...you ever been sad or angry listening to Van Halen? Not a lot of dark songs in the catalog. Speaking for myself, this is the first time I’ve associated sad with Van Halen.

Most great players don't project that they are having fun playing, but he ( more than anyone I can think of) always seemed like he was enjoying it as much as you were.

Back
Top Bottom