RIP EVH

Finding that this hit me surprisingly hard. Didn't expect that, even as much as I love his playing.

To me, only Hendrix changed guitar playing like he did. For both of them, there's Before and there's After. There are lots of other really great guitar players out there, but those two stand apart in how completely they reinvented electric guitar.

Sad day.

So who is going to replace him in the band?
Not like he isn't replaceable... I think he isn't... but he would say not true... 50% of the band has been replaced by his orders... so that means he would agree with himself?
How about Steve?

WOW just WOW!
I mean we all know no one lives forever, but I just never imagined we would lose Eddie so soon. He is still so young.

And now I am truly convinced that Keith Richards must have signed a deal with the devil.....

I'm just crushed. So many of us probably have stories about how VH changed things for us... and for me it was the day my neighbor gave me a copy of VH on vinyl. I lived in the sticks with really no radio or exposure to the outside world or rock music. It literally changed my life. I became obsessed with VH and rock music in general. EVH was #1 in my book for that reason. Sad day.

I was never really a huge fan of Van Halen the band. Don't get me wrong, I liked Van Halen, They were the music of my youth. So many VH songs are burned into memories I have growing up. But I was never a OMG Van Halen rules kinda person. But Eddie! wether you were a die hard VH fan or not Eddie was the shit! He was what influenced so many kids to pick up a guitar. Although I never attempted to mimic or learn how to play like eddie, he was one of a select few that really made me want to play guitar. Sad, sad day.

Innovative. Instantly identifiable style and tone. Great writing skills to match.

Truly, the first "Guitar God" I ever recognized in life. I'm not a big VH fan, but I do like the bulk of their stuff.
In any case, his mark has been left on the World, and he has changed this industry and Music, itself, for the ages and all for the better.

Cheers, Edward Van Halen. RIP

fwiw: my own important points in rock n roll guitar history:
-chuck berry ...how to write rock n roll guitar songs
-beatles ...how to up the excitement and impact of the guitar in rock n roll
-eddie van halen ....WTF just happened ! :)

RIP sir....no words...

An absolute loss for the music community....... I'm stunned
A true innovator and guitarist of immense proportions with chops galore, who could play anything he pleased and do it with such passion, ease, fire and authority!!!
Can't recall anybody with such an infectious desire to further the instrument and always seemed willing to do it with a huge grin on his face!!!!
Sympathy to the family, and the band family.
RIP Mr. Van Halen.
Rest knowing that your name and music will live on forever!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom