RIP EVH

This is a tough one. I wrote this up on our band page to try and cope:

RIP Eddie Van Halen. EVH and Van Halen are huge influences to everyone in this band. DT tries to embody that "Van Halen spirit" of bringing fun to the stage along with killer tunes, vocal harmonies, stage jumps, and everything else that the VH boys personified. Our first band photo mimic'ed a Van Halen album cover. We don Van Halen shirts, shoes, bandanas, and guitars in tribute. We play Van Halen songs and medleys every show.

Eddie's accomplishments as a guitar player, inventor, and innovator are unparalleled. He was a transitional player - once he arrived on the scene, everything changed. He influenced every guitar player since with his recordings and performances and re-programmed our DNA as musicians.

Thanks Eddie for all you left behind with us and for being a touchstone of excellence for us each time we hit the stage.

Absolutely gut wrenching. Eddie Van Halen was the center of my world in my teen years (and beyond to a degree). My walls were literally covered with him and his guitars. I read EVERY freaking magazine interview with him...my mom even let me be late for school once because EVH was doing an interview on the Today show one morning. If ya knew my mom you would understand this was no small matter. He was the one that made me play and pursue it with more passion than I ever had for anything else. He was truly my hero.

Like everyone here I’m sure, the news of Eddie passing is heart wrenching. I was just out in the garage (before I heard the news) listening to my rock playlist. Meanstreet came on and it’s freaking me out that ten minutes later I hear this. This man was one of the reasons many of us played the guitar. He was so much more than a guitar player. He was a pioneer. He built his sound, his guitars, his amps. Never afraid to delve into the unknown. He gave us some of the most incredible music and made many of us better players just by listening to him. Just devastating news today. RIP Eddie! Thank you for sharing your heart and soul with the world. We all love you brother!

I literally remember to this date the first time I ever heard “Eruption”. A buddy of mine and I cut school and went to his house to engage in some high school herbage consumption and raided his older brothers room for some tunes. VH1 was what we “borrowed” and he put on “Eruption” and we were stunned. We were both young guitar players and when we heard it it sounded like a different instrument from a different dimension.

My wife just show me , Rest In Peace Eddie . My heart goes out the Van Halen family . I was just playing beautiful girls ❤️

Got to see VH for the VH2 tour at the Boston Orpheum Theater. Their first headline tour(wasn't arenas).
It strike me as unusual that he played all his signature solos with his back facing the crowd. That had to be 1979 or 1980?
What a great musician! He transcends the label guitarist, that just happened to be hos weapon of choice. All the stories of he and Alex winning teenage piano competitions in Cali, without even reading music. His creating his own guitars and pickups, always searching to improve his tone to match what he heard in his head.

We lost a unique intelligent artist today in a era that doesn't seem to be giving many new ones.
🍻 Cheers to you Eddie for making a mark on this world, RIP, never to be forgotten!

I imagine right about now, Dimebag is pouring Ed blacktooth shots while Jimi’s rollin’ a fat one and Randy is just there warming up, waiting for the craziest jam to start up.

and SRV walks in and say's wow,what the hell are you doin here Eddie, we were expecting to see Keith first. They all pick up their guitars and create THUNDER & LIGHTNING!

R.I.P EVH you are a true legend.

Really sad news. Whether I loved or hated what he was playing, and it was almost always the former, his gift was to remind me that playing guitar is supposed to be fun. A sad loss.

Liam

This is a tough one. I wrote this up on our band page to try and cope:

RIP Eddie Van Halen. EVH and Van Halen are huge influences to everyone in this band. DT tries to embody that "Van Halen spirit" of bringing fun to the stage along with killer tunes, vocal harmonies, stage jumps, and everything else that the VH boys personified. Our first band photo mimic'ed a Van Halen album cover. We don Van Halen shirts, shoes, bandanas, and guitars in tribute. We play Van Halen songs and medleys every show.

Eddie's accomplishments as a guitar player, inventor, and innovator are unparalleled. He was a transitional player - once he arrived on the scene, everything changed. He influenced every guitar player since with his recordings and performances and re-programmed our DNA as musicians.

Thanks Eddie for all you left behind with us and for being a touchstone of excellence for us each time we hit the stage.
Well said...

I literally remember to this date the first time I ever heard “Eruption”. A buddy of mine and I cut school and went to his house to engage in some high school herbage consumption and raided his older brothers room for some tunes. VH1 was what we “borrowed” and he put on “Eruption” and we were stunned. We were both young guitar players and when we heard it it sounded like a different instrument from a different dimension.

Can so relate.

Hearing eruption for the first time was a ”where were you moment“ for us players of that generation.

I remember getting a ride home in Jr high with my wrestling coach in his POS Nova which he had removed the rear seats and put in nothing but speakers and power amps, he pops in VH1 and says “check this out”... and my entire concept of guitar changed.

Back
Top Bottom