RIP Emmett Chapman

That’s a very original creation that bears his name. I remember seeing Tony Levin use one first and trying to figure out what the heck it was! RIP Mr. Chapman.

I remember seeing one in the flesh in 1989 in Sam Ash in Paramus, NJ
Someone had sold it to them used.

The salesman had to coach me through how it was to be played as I had never seen one before.

An amazing and daunting instrument it was, it totally scared me off from owning one.

What a sad loss his passing is, he was truly an innovator.

Bass/keys guy in a band I used to run sound for bought one, really just because it was unusual, and maybe also a little because Tony Levin.
He never really did the two-handed stick thing with it though, more just used it as a bass with some extra strings, didn't keep it long.
Emmet Chapman he was not!
I didn't get to play it much, but it's clearly an instrument you need to put serious time and effort into to do what it's meant for.
Emmet was quite the innovator!

My bandmate plays bass, stick, mandolin, guitar and piano (though currently only bass/stick in our band).

He has been sticking (pun intended) to his 9-string stick since we resumed from pandemic break but he also acquired a 12-string version during that time. I've yet to hear it but he does some very nice stuff with "only" 9 strings.

I know he's really sad about this as he's been playing it for something like 30+ years and has had some personal interaction with Emmett in the past.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom