RIP Dumble

RIP Mr Dumble. In his honour, permit me to re-post here a limerick I wrote when I saw one of his amps sell on eBay for $US85,000.

An amp builder named Mr Dumble
saw his finances starting to crumble
so he went to the corner
like Little Jack Horner
and started to mutter and mumble

Then an idea, brilliant, but humble
came into his head with a tumble
to create some distortion
he'd boost a big portion
of the power of the preamp wire jumble

He started quite well but would stumble
over just how to make the thing rumble
with the failure to salve
all the grunt of the valve
and all he could do was to grumble

He continued to fiddle and fumble
(with the wiring and not Mrs Dumble)
shouting words so impious
as he worked out the bias
but all he could do was to bumble

Then suddenly one day in summer
He shouted "Oh shit - what a bummer"
as he soldered a joint
and he went point-to-point
and the AC broke through as a hummer

But then Lady Luck turned the tables
as he realised just how to run cables
from the ends of resistors -
no sign of transistors -
till he created the circuit of fables

The boost of preamp to power stages
became stuff of legend for ages
and overdrive mania
from New York to Tasmania
took up numerous magazine pages

So the good Howard Alexander Dumble
Was no longer so poor nor so humble
now his amps sold to scholars
for eighty five thousand dollars
on eBay with nary a grumble

This is, though, a story with moral
and although has a language quite floral
just discovered in time
that there's no need to rhyme
for a punchline to finish a limerick.....

I had the opportunity to play one of Joe Bonamassa's '59 LP through his Dumble Overdrive Special. I think it's this one, although Joe said he paid more like $80k for it...

https://wildwestguitars.com/extras/...rive-special-50w-combo-owned-by-joe-bonamassa

It sounded fantastic, don't know if the guitar and amp together were 'more than the cost of my house' fantastic, but I dig the sound. I also did not sound like Joe through it, still sounded like me.

I don't really have any desire to own one, but Dumble was definitely a huge contribution to guitar tone as we know it, and I'm glad we have those innovations to learn from and still enjoy.

Very sad news indeed.

Robben Ford's Dumble is in this magic box and that's one of the reasons I wanted to meet it so very much. Here's Robben Ford talking about how the Dumble ODS-100 came to be, allegedly. Check out the story @ 01:23.

RIP Mr Dumble. In his honour, permit me to re-post here a limerick I wrote when I saw one of his amps sell on eBay for $US85,000.

Awesomeness
Incredible.

I don't really have any desire to own one, but Dumble was definitely a huge contribution to guitar tone as we know it
Agreed. A friend of mine had a clone made of Robben’s Dumble from the schematic that’s floating around. It’s big and heavy and I have no idea where he gets to play it because that’s a loud amp.

I love Ford’s sound, and have two variations of Robben’s Dumble in my preset list on my Fractals, and they sound good, but I always gravitate back to my Fender and Mesa based presets. I’m more comfortable with their tones.

Condolences to the Dumble family and friends, of a group many guitarists can identify.

The Dumble sound has always been a gold standard of mine for much of my search for "quality" in an amp. The Dumble sound is recognizable and desirable by tone purists.

Am just happy that FAS was able to capture that tone for our benefit with the ODS-100 series amp models.

Always loved the tones Steve Farris got out of his combo, as well as the more well known names

Dumble was certainly a well deserved legend in the amp world

RIP

Agreed. A friend of mine had a clone made of Robben’s Dumble from the schematic that’s floating around. It’s big and heavy and I have no idea where he gets to play it because that’s a loud amp.

I love Ford’s sound, and have two variations of Robben’s Dumble in my preset list on my Fractals, and they sound good, but I always gravitate back to my Fender and Mesa based presets. I’m more comfortable with their tones.

I got to see Robben over the summer, and yes it sounded great.

240668827_10102497655091219_6955633603291509863_n.jpg

There's a lot of tone on that stage.

That's a nice lineup and I expect they did a good job of NOT playing too. Was Lettieri on his baritone or a standard-pitch Fiore?

You'd be correct :)

That was the standard one, but earlier the artists all did individual workshops, and Mark played a few songs on the baritone from his new album. Super snappy.

Back
Top Bottom