RIP Dick Dale

That suck's However! That video in the link you provided he was still kicking ass, which is nice to see.

Educational video (for me) Seeing him lefty didn't surprise me: but he is another one like Eric Gales. Right handed guitar, played lefty but still strung for a right handed player.

I’ll be sure to play Miserlou in my show this weekend.

So strange. He was left handed, played a left handed guitar, but strung it backwards with the low e string on the bottom.

Never heard why he did it that way.

Definitely a showman. I'm glad he got to do what he loved his whole life. Always smile at the beginning of Pulp Fiction when I hear that riff.

Born Richard Anthony Monsour his famous songs, like “Miserlou,” and many others have become part of the American music fabric.

Au Revoirs Monsieur Monsour...RIP...thank you!

Dick Dale was a true originator and was powerfully unique in the music he created; he is the guy I've associated Surf Guitar music with for decades now.

I remember seeing a black and white picture in an old Guitar Player magazine where he had a surfboard hollowed out so he could 'case' his guitar in it. Awesome.

I saw him at the Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver in 1993 and was absolutely blown away with the loudness, power, attitude, and overall "in your face" energy of Dick and his three-piece band. Man, they meant business....

A lean, mean, stripped down band on fire...

His tone was that tone...the one you think of when you imagine Surf Guitar. Big, bold, bell like with a huge wallop and girth...he and SRV had that in common with their tones; big fat strings, Strats, and loud, clean-ish Fender amps....and they beat the notes out of those Strats without mercy. A guitar, amp, tube reverb, a large supply of picks, and that was all he needed.

I was right in the front row and the magic washing over me was thrilling . The songs were a bit outworldly, mystical...middle Easter scales/riffs overtop of killer grooves and improved jamming; one of the top live shows I've ever seen, absolutely. Since he played a Strat with the strings reversed his chords/rhythms/strumming sounded that much more unique...different...compelling. That was a musical highlight I'll enjoy forever...I'd not heard anyone play a guitar like that, nor a band who, in that genre, was at the pinnacle of it. I found them soooooooo inspiring and....simply alive.

He was also a very warm and engaging guy. At the end of the encore he said "I can play another couple of songs, or come down there and we can talk...it's up to you". The crowd chose to have him come down and sit on the edge of the stage where he talked and signed stuff (I got my ticket signed).

I then had to ask him what is 'the secret of the surf guitar sound???'....

He simply replied "put the tube reverb unit in front of the amp"...

I basked in that wisdom from the guy who truly is the King Of Surf Guitar...

RIP Mr. Dale, and thanks...you were, and are, a giant and will always be remembered.

Back
Top Bottom