RIP - Chick Corea

AJ Vargas

Experienced
"It is with great sadness we announce that on February 9th, Chick Corea passed away at the age of 79, from a rare form of cancer which was only discovered very recently.
Throughout his life and career, Chick relished in the freedom and the fun to be had in creating something new, and in playing the games that artists do.
He was a beloved husband, father and grandfather, and a great mentor and friend to so many. Through his body of work and the decades he spent touring the world, he touched and inspired the lives of millions.
Though he would be the first to say that his music said more than words ever could, he nevertheless had this message for all those he knew and loved, and for all those who loved him:
“I want to thank all of those along my journey who have helped keep the music fires burning bright. It is my hope that those who have an inkling to play, write, perform or otherwise, do so. If not for yourself then for the rest of us. It’s not only that the world needs more artists, it’s also just a lot of fun.
“And to my amazing musician friends who have been like family to me as long as I’ve known you: It has been a blessing and an honor learning from and playing with all of you. My mission has always been to bring the joy of creating anywhere I could, and to have done so with all the artists that I admire so dearly—this has been the richness of my life.”
Chick’s family will of course appreciate their privacy during this difficult time of loss."

Another giant loss for music.

MAN!!!!!! He was my favorite. EVER!!!!!! I love Keith Jarrett... and Herbie.... but Chick was always the man for me! The hippest of all! And always stretching musically. He was like a modern Miles Davis. Everyone that played with him because famous after. An incredible loss!! I guess it's nice to know that he's been playing and teaching right up til the his death, pretty much. RIP CHICK! The f*cking man!!!!

Oh no...He will always be a top motherfucker player and jazz advocate for all time and a sweet , deep sincere and funny cat. I was privileged to see him live in numerous phases of his multifaceted career (first time was RTF with Flora and Airto(!) ), and he never failed to bring high levels of joy and vibe.
This sucks.

What a giant in the world of music. I've seen him many times between different versions of RTF, the Elektric Band, ... he always brought so much musical knowledge and innovation, and created an environment where everyone else could shine.

A sad day.

I'll put this down here although it is very personal.
He was a personal friend and I had the pleasure of playing with him a few times. Although I was always the worst player in the band, he never made me feel so. Generous on stage as he was in life. A true giant. Possibly one of the few Gods of Music whose imagination translated effortlessly to music.
I am deeply saddened and I miss him already.

He was a personal friend and I had the pleasure of playing with him a few times. Although I was always the worst player in the band, he never made me feel so. Generous on stage as he was in life. A true giant. Possibly one of the few Gods of Music whose imagination translated effortlessly to music.
Sorry for your loss. What an inspiration he is. He never got comfortable, or went mainstream. He was always looking for the next new thing to do and with whom to do it with. Real musician.

Saw the Elektrik Band back in 1988 and it was some of the most outstanding and fun musicianship I have ever seen. RIP

So sorry for your loss, but your world was much richer having such a great person as a friend.

I met him once at Berklee and I know what you mean by generosity and his kindness.

I was taking a composition course with Gary Burton and Chick suddenly dropped in. I was so nervous I was shaking. The last guitarist he heard at Berklee was Al DiMeola! I was so out of my league.

Chick told me to learn from everybody and always have fun with music. Not to ever be nervous or stressed about it.

I still went and threw up after I left the room.

Chick told me to learn from everybody and always have fun with music. Not to ever be nervous or stressed about it.

I still went and threw up after I left the room.

I would have done the same thing. But just that sentiment is awesome. I wish I could follow the credo of 'not to ever be nervous or stressed about it'.

RIP Chick. Thank you!

Chick Corea inspired me to take jazz piano lessons... then I understand that I could be a better mixing engineer than a not talented piano player so I kept listening to them doing "air piano" ;-)
Thanks Chick for your music, this is something that will live forever,

Chick Corea was a giant among musicians....I saw him play several times. He and his music were inspirational for me.

RIP, I discovered his music after his relationship with Gambale, just to learn how big he was. 2021 does not start better than 2020 ended.

Yeah. Just to explain, I'm older than most. I discovered Chick's music listening to a jazz staion KPFA. I recorded about an hour on reel to reel. I found this fantastic music, a song called Inner Space. Chick Corea. Hm. Played it over and over and over. I bought the album and a record called Song Of Singing, which was his most recent. Pretty out there but the trio's rendition of the Wayne Shorter song Nefertiti blew me away. Then "Now He Sings, Now He Sobs". That was it. I was done for. This was way pre electric band or Return To Forever. Not a guitar player in sight. I just followed him there. I loved his musical mind. Wouldn't you know that mind reflected the person. I met him a few times. We even had dinner together a few times. Never did play with him. But that was my goal every day. Fantasizing what would happen if Chick called? Would I be ready? LOL. It certainly was inspiration. Improvisation and perfection and amazing organization.

I was in high school when rumor was he was auditioning this Bay Area guitarist for his new electric band - Bill Conners. I knew who he was but non of us could figure out what the hell Chick had in mind. Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy. Wow. On the heels of Mahavishnu's Inner Mounting Flame.

Anyway thank you for the life long journey. Love you man.

Back
Top Bottom