RIP - Chick Corea

Yeah. Just to explain, I'm older than most. I discovered Chick's music listening to a jazz staion KPFA. I recorded about an hour on reel to reel. I found this fantastic music, a song called Inner Space. Chick Corea. Hm. Played it over and over and over. I bought the album and a record called Song Of Singing, which was his most recent. Pretty out there but the trio's rendition of the Wayne Shorter song Nefertiti blew me away. Then "Now He Sings, Now He Sobs". That was it. I was done for. This was way pre electric band or Return To Forever. Not a guitar player in sight. I just followed him there. I loved his musical mind. Wouldn't you know that mind reflected the person. I met him a few times. We even had dinner together a few times. Never did play with him. But that was my goal every day. Fantasizing what would happen if Chick called? Would I be ready? LOL. It certainly was inspiration. Improvisation and perfection and amazing organization.

I was in high school when rumor was he was auditioning this Bay Area guitarist for his new electric band - Bill Conners. I knew who he was but non of us could figure out what the hell Chick had in mind. Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy. Wow. On the heels of Mahavishnu's Inner Mounting Flame.

Anyway thank you for the life long journey. Love you man.
Right there with you Henry.

Picked up on him right about the same time, really dug what he was doing. Saw the Billy Connors/Stanley Clark band in a tiny club in NYC, awesome, Billy included. Didn't like the Al Dimeola incarnation as much, live or recorded, but Chick was still a beacon of quality and craftsmanship.

A giant. He will be missed.

Back
Top Bottom