RIP Avicii.

28 is too young regardless of your profession, level of fame or fortune.

No cause announced and family said no further statement would be made. Sounds like suspicious circumstances may be involved.

Sad indeed.

Sounds like a combination of his long term health issues and life on the road... a familiar and sad story. RIP to him, thoughts to his family and fans.

Off topic, but I have been puzzled by DJ/producer fame:
  • it used to be the performing singers/instrumentalists did the huge/famous tours and the songwriters/producers didn't (if they weren't the singer/instrumentalist).
  • EDM/DJs turned that concept on its head where singers/instrumentalists don't tour and the songwriter/producer does.
Have live bands become so lame that the drugs and sex have flocked from arena bands to a button/knob tweaker waving one arm in the air as they cue up audio clips because their songwriting and production chops are better?

Part of me wants to say yes, and part wants to say no because it doesn't apply to a new genre. But if you listen to Tim's most popular work, it doesn't sound like a new genre, it sounds like hookier songwriting.

That said, his passing is the timeless tale of the artist swimming in a drugs/sex filled music genre and drowning before his/her time.

Have live bands become so lame that the drugs and sex have flocked from arena bands to a button/knob tweaker waving one arm in the air as they cue up audio clips because their songwriting and production chops are better?
No. It's one thing to not understand it, it's another to thing to look down your nose at what anyone else does to make their art with this kind of disdain. Jealousy is a terrible thing.

Last edited:
I consider this the new freedom technology brought to the community. I hate how rap / hip-hop started stealing samples to glue them into a collage but in the end technology allows to let people that don't play instruments become musicians and quite a number of them has really great ideas. These people are now called producers. Isn't the creative part and the outcome the important thing ?

Back
Top Bottom