Ringing Overtone issue with humbucker guitars on AXE FX II

Lkdog

Power User
Have noticed an issue with the AXE II recently with there being a slight higher pitched ringing overtone on humbucker guitars at the time of pick attack.
It is on both clean and higher gain stock presets.
Is more noticeable on clean presets as there is less other noise to mask it.

(I may not be using the right terms here so bear with me.) :)

It is just kind of higher pitched overlay or overtone or ringing when picking notes.
Only pronounced with humbucker guitars (PRS McCarty Trem with stock pickups, Jaros 59 LP DC style with WCR pickups, etc)

On my Fender Deluxe Strat on the single coil pickups- no real ringing or overtones.
When I split the coils on the PRS and the Jaros- no real ringing.

It is most noticeable on the neck pickup where it gets a little boomy also as one hits the A/D/G strings especially. Less noticeable on the bridge which has more bite of course.

At first I though it might be only through my FBT Verve 12ma, but I am able to reproduce it through my KRK Rokit 6 monitors and my Sennheiser HD 600 headphones.
It is noticeable when I get to the 85-95 db range. Not really that loud.

My settings on the AXE are all pretty much out of box stock.
No Global EQ changes. All flat.
The I/O for Instrument in is 50%.

FW 5.07.
I do not recall if this was an issue with previous FW versions. Could have been I did not notice.

Strings are GHS Boomers Lights on all guitars (10 > 46).

Any thoughts or suggestion are appreciated.

Edit- Just to be clear. Unit is dead quiet out of all all speakers and headphones when not playing. No hums or grounding issues that seem apparent.

Last edited:
a recording would be helpful. I'm not hearing what you are talking about in my rig - but I'm not saying you aren't either.

I'd have to hear it to be sure; but I had this issue with a PRS and a trip to the luthier and a refret (or hopefully for you a fret level and crown) fixed it up.

*My PRS is a 1996 and had been played to pieces and desperately needed the refret; this was NOT a new guitar. Used and used hard. I adore this guitar FWIW.

I'd have to hear it to be sure; but I had this issue with a PRS and a trip to the luthier and a refret (or hopefully for you a fret level and crown) fixed it up.

*My PRS is a 1996 and had been played to pieces and desperately needed the refret; this was NOT a new guitar. Used and used hard. I adore this guitar FWIW.

Am pretty sure this is probably not the issue only because I do my own fret leveling and crowning and the frets are in great shape on all my guitars right now.
It also does it on a like new Ibanez AS103 (humbucker semi-hollow) I just got which has dead level frets with no wear at all.

On the other hand- not ruling factors out right now. :)

Thanks for taking a look at my post, Scott.

a recording would be helpful. I'm not hearing what you are talking about in my rig - but I'm not saying you aren't either.

I will try and get one up today. Good idea rather than trying to use words to describe it. :)

Sure it's not your pick? I prefer thick, hard picks (yeah, yeah...no puns please 8)), but they sound bad with bridge pickups. They make this high pitched ping to the attack...it's like hitting the string with a little bottleneck. Since your problem is mostly the neck pickup, it's likely something entirely else though...

Sure it's not your pick? I prefer thick, hard picks (yeah, yeah...no puns please 8)), but they sound bad with bridge pickups. They make this high pitched ping to the attack...it's like hitting the string with a little bottleneck. Since your problem is mostly the neck pickup, it's likely something entirely else though...

Interesting.
I use thicker picks my self (1.0 to 1.5 mm) and have a pretty heavy pick attack.

OK, after some more fooling around it is mostly apparent through the FBT Verve 12ma.
Not as much through the monitors and headphones, but still present.

I did record a clip and will get it up in a few minutes.

I'm with willowdale, don't hear anything odd, not listening through great speakers, but sounds normal

Sounds right to me.Sometimes my prs guitars get a wierd sort of overtone I wonder if it's the same with yours?

There's a little green man in my head...

Ok- here is link to the clip.
You can hear what I am talking about I think.

PRS McCarty Trem.
Neck pickup. Switched to bridge at end.
65 Bassguy Preset.

Bassguy 65 test clip by LKDog by Lkdog on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Hi Lkdog,

I dunno, I don't hear anything like what you explained? I hear a little bit of residual un-muted adjacent string-noise toiling about, ;) but that's clearly not what you've described...?!?

I will say this: I just recently started experimenting with Power Amp Sims=ON, (...never did before because I use a regular [Blackstar] tube-amp FX-Return and traditional cabs) and when I use the Power-Sims, I HAVE noticed that notes have a remarkable "touch-sensitivity/harmonic-excitement" (in some ways MORESO than in traditional amps!) Perhaps THIS is what you're experiencing???

Btw, I really started to notice this after FW-5.01.

Bill

Hey guys- thanks to everyone for taking the time to listen to this.

I guess I am relieved that there does not seem to be anything out of the ordinary going on here.
Dunno- sometimes we overanalyze stuff here................ :)
Well, maybe sometimes I over analyze stuff.

I also still have hearing like a dog- maybe I am just more sensitive to certain frequencies.

In the room through the FBT Verve there is definitely some extra energy happening on top of the tone.
There may be something to the increased "touch-sensitivity/harmonic-excitement" thing as well as my sloppy playing, and the heavy picks. :)

Play on......................

Back
Top Bottom