Ring Modulator as Octave - Can't get it to work in FW 19

Was anyone else a fan of the Ring Mod as octave divider? I was loving it but since FW 19, the effect was updated and I can't find the magic setting. Has anyone been able to get it? Please share. Thanks. (note: I mean an octave down)

The only change was in the range of the FMULT parameter. Simply set the value to "half" it's current value, i.e. if the shift amount is 4 set it to 2, if the shift amount is 0.25 set it 0.5. The effect is otherwise unchanged.

Good question. I agree with you that it doesn't sound the same anymore since the change in FW19. The closest I have come to the 1 octave down is track: ON freq multiplier 0.500. freq range doesn't matter when track is on. Mix= 50%. I use many different Ring Mod settings in many presets but I am not sure what the formula is to get your old sound back. Would love to know.

Edit: did some more tweaking. The key to get the old octave down sound back is setting high cut all the way to the left (200hz). When high cut is in standard setting (20000hz) it sounds too 'ring modish octave down' and less like a normal octave pedal. I never used the high cut before on my old presets so it is strange that the only thing that changed is freq multiplier range.

Last edited:
haha..I hear you! But somehow messing with the high cut has more effect than before. Maybe the high cut reacts different on the new freq multiplier ranges? No idea how it technically works but to my ears the Ring Mod sounds different now. Better. So I am happy.

Actually like that octave down Ring Mod better than the Octave divider in the pitch block. That always sounds too muffled and dark for me so I stopped using it. Compared to the Boss OC-2 my favorite all time octave pedal the Ring Mod comes closer.

The only change was in the range of the FMULT parameter. Simply set the value to "half" it's current value, i.e. if the shift amount is 4 set it to 2, if the shift amount is 0.25 set it 0.5. The effect is otherwise unchanged.

Thank you, Cliff for the very fast response! Excellent tech support here. Looking forward to trying the settings.

Thanks also to Bodde! I'll try the high cut.

[...] Simply set the value to "half" it's current value, i.e. if the shift amount is 4 set it to 2, if the shift amount is 0.25 set it 0.5.[...]

So if it's 0.3, halve it to 0.6... and if it's 1.2, also halve it to 0.6?

Is this one of those engineering maths things I'm not aware of?

Good question. I agree with you that it doesn't sound the same anymore since the change in FW19. The closest I have come to the 1 octave down is track: ON freq multiplier 0.500. freq range doesn't matter when track is on. Mix= 50%. I use many different Ring Mod settings in many presets but I am not sure what the formula is to get your old sound back. Would love to know.

Edit: did some more tweaking. The key to get the old octave down sound back is setting high cut all the way to the left (200hz). When high cut is in standard setting (20000hz) it sounds too 'ring modish octave down' and less like a normal octave pedal. I never used the high cut before on my old presets so it is strange that the only thing that changed is freq multiplier range.

I like the Ringmod for a nice octaver effect.
Hi Cut doesn't need to be turned down all the way. I prefer it around 500 Hz.

Yup. Same here... I had my RingMod dialed in perfectly, then it got weird. I'm going to dial in the FMULT parameter in the AM and see if I can get it back..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like the Ringmod for a nice octaver effect.
Hi Cut doesn't need to be turned down all the way. I prefer it around 500 Hz.

Yes that's personal preference of course. The more you have the high cut to the right the more ring modish/distorted (or whatever you want to call it) it sounds. To the left makes your octave much cleaner and more like a traditional octaver pedal like the Boss OC-2. The Boss has that synthy octave sound that the ring mod also has unlike the octave divider in the Pitch block.

What I was trying to say is that before I never touched the high cut to get that octave sound and now I have to use it to get the same sound as before. Don't want to be suborn but that is what my ears say. Before I had the feeling that the high cut had less effect on the overall ring mod sound and now it does have more effect which is a good thing. But maybe I have lost my mind :)

Yes that's personal preference of course. The more you have the high cut to the right the more ring modish/distorted (or whatever you want to call it) it sounds. To the left makes your octave much cleaner and more like a traditional octaver pedal like the Boss OC-2. The Boss has that synthy octave sound that the ring mod also has unlike the octave divider in the Pitch block.

What I was trying to say is that before I never touched the high cut to get that octave sound and now I have to use it to get the same sound as before. Don't want to be suborn but that is what my ears say. Before I had the feeling that the high cut had less effect on the overall ring mod sound and now it does have more effect which is a good thing. But maybe I have lost my mind :)

No, you're right. I already used Hi Cut in the Ringmod previously and I had to turn it down more to retain the Octaver sound. Who knows, maybe there's a correlation between Hi Cut and FMULT.

No, you're right. I already used Hi Cut in the Ringmod previously and I had to turn it down more to retain the Octaver sound. Who knows, maybe there's a correlation between Hi Cut and FMULT.

That was exactly my point. Good to know that I am not going nuts here! Apparently Cliff has another view... :)

I double-checked. NOTHING changed except the range of the control. Any perceived differences are just that.

That's right. Bodde's setting works great and like Yek says, you can set High Cut to taste. Sounds great here.

ok, glad it worked out for you. Fiddling with the high cut is definitely the key to get a cleaner octave.
Still struggling to get this classical ring mod sound with the Axe Ring Mod, starting on 2:30, anyone able to recreate this? :

Thanks for this. Ringmod in, pitch block out. For now. Ringmod sounded a little more warmer and I've been struggling to get the pitch block octaver to sound right.

Thanks anyways guys, cause i've strugles with the pitch block, and found exactly what i was looking for with the ringmod !

Back
Top Bottom