Right-angel 7-pin MIDI cable

JustinAiken

Inspired
What ones are there? The one I have (a Hosa I think) has the right angle going the wrong way, so the cable goes UP from my pedalboard, instead of down into those nice holes the Pedaltrain has...

Right angles or L jacks are usually used for audio jacks,
to be honest, I never saw midi L jacks but I guess there are some since you said you have one.
But I didn't understand your question tho. :)

ive seen right angle 7's but they only went one direction, and it was the wrong direction...check mouser.

Muris_Varajic said:
Right angles or L jacks are usually used for audio jacks,
to be honest, I never saw midi L jacks but I guess there are some since you said you have one.
But I didn't understand your question tho. :)

I mean it looks like this:

wrongdir.jpg

Still better than a straight cable, but it would be even neater if it went down...

JustinAiken said:
Muris_Varajic said:
Still better than a straight cable, but it would be even neater if it went down...

Oh I see.
Well, this is just my guessing but most of the floor midi controllers have jacks pretty near bottom
and in 90% cases the jack that goes down won't fit and it'd hit the ground,
that might be the reason why they are mainly making them the other way, up...

JustinAiken said:
What ones are there? The one I have (a Hosa I think) has the right angle going the wrong way, so the cable goes UP from my pedalboard, instead of down into those nice holes the Pedaltrain has...

I also have the HOSA right angle midi cables.

On mine, if you look closely and compare the two ends, one will have the pins on top and the opposite end will have its pins on the bottom.

goodwill559 said:
JustinAiken said:

On mine, if you look closely and compare the two ends, one will have the pins on top and the opposite end will have its pins on the bottom.

You have 5 or 7 pin Hosa?
Because I just checked newest Hosa product catalog and there are 2 cables worth considering:
-7 to 7 with one straight and one right angle jack going up (probably the one JustinAiken has)
-5 to 5 with both right angle, up and down (is this the one you have?)

[quote="Muris_Varajic"
-7 to 7 with one straight and one right angle jack going up (probably the one JustinAiken has)
[/quote]

Yep, I only have one right angle... going up!

xrist04 said:
These are the best 7-pin MIDI cables I've ever used. Goodbye, Hosa! :roll:

http://best-tronics.com/guitar-cable/MIDI/midi7.aspx

Those do go the right direction, and look quite nice... but $50 for one cable is too much!

Anyways, I think I'm going to go with a Pedalsnake, I'll have to see if they can do right angle 7-pins...

I almost bought the Best-Tronics ones (I love the metal ends, VERY nice), but I ended up going with a Rocktron 7-to-7 20-footer, both are straight ends. A seller called "Trader John's" on EBay sells them for $17, free shipping. I like it, because I don't have to worry about how the damn cable is oriented, and it was about $10-$15 cheaper, after shipping, than the Best-Tronics.

Muris_Varajic said:
goodwill559 said:
JustinAiken said:

You have 5 or 7 pin Hosa?
Because I just checked newest Hosa product catalog and there are 2 cables worth considering:
-5 to 5 with both right angle, up and down (is this the one you have?)

-5 to 5 with both right angle, up and down (is this the one you have?) <- Good call, this is the one I have, the 5 pin.

I've had two of the Rocktron RMM-900 7-pin MIDI cables. Both of these cheap cables failed; one after six months of live dates and the other after only three weeks. Not sure who is manufacturing these for Rocktron, but I was not impressed with the quality.

The Best-Tronics 7-pin MIDI cables have been flawless. They use Neutrik connectors and shielded 24 AWG control wire. The cables have a lifetime warranty. The company is ISO9001:2008 certified.

A twenty-foot (20') 7-pin MIDI cable from Best-Tronics is only US$ 24.86 (not $50). That's only $10 more than the cheapest Rocktron RMM-900 on Google Shopping.

For me, the difference in quality was worth the $10. With a good MIDI cable, I no longer live in fear of not being able to control my Axe-Fx during a live date.

Back
Top Bottom