Rig setups

Im just wondering how you guys are setting up your Fractal units at home. I’m looking for ideas or advice on setting mine up. I’m currently running in through the front of a old jcm 800 with two 800 4/12 cabs. Any ideas on the best way to use this set up for in the home only. I’m not opposed to switching to something else if it will maximize all the FX features. Fire away and feel free to share some pics of your setups.

So you're not using amp modeling?

If you are, you don't want to go into the front of an amp, but rather into the FX loop return (to bypass the preamp section).

If you're just using effects, you should probably look into the 4CM (4 Cable Method) setup.

How you set things up is entirely dependent on what you're trying to achieve.

At home and live I use the same monitors; either an RCF or CLR coaxial powered monitors. By using a cab block with these, when my stage monitor isn’t available I can just run it direct into the mixer here, and out to a pair of Presonus Scepter S8s and it sounds magnificent. On that note, a good set of studio type monitors and the use of cab blocks can open another world of tones and soundscapes for you. Stereo effects, especially, come alive and gain a sense of space you can’t get from a single cabinet.

CLR home and away

I have studio monitors too but really enjoy playing through the CLRs. They sound great at late night soft volume and can get way louder than I’d want to listen to, and sound very consistent at those and any other volume.

Consistently is a beautiful thing

Another thumbs up for studio monitors. I have been mixing on Yamaha HS7s for a while, but just started using them in jams with my FXII feeding directly. The detail it provides is such a creative turn on, good at any volume. Aside from this, I use the digital i/o to loop through my interface.

You guys may know this, but the additional flexibility as a reamping and mixing tool is a huge bonus. Worth the price just for that.

I don't use outboard gear except for an EV-2 expression pedal. So guitar into AX8, AX8 out to either my Adam T7V monitors or a XiTone active wedge. Once in a while I'll tap output 2 pre-cab and go into a Crown XLS and once of my remaining cabs.

At home I just plug the Axe into my mixing console and then into a pair of monitor speakers. Same as I would do on stage going straight into the FOH. I do have a Matrix poweramp in my stage rack to power a pair of speakers, one FRFR, one a regular cab. As together they sound quite nice. Oddly enough when I still used a Marshall poweramp I had to create presets without cabs, but with the Matrix they sounded like crap, so presets with cabs sims on it is. Which makes things easier. So both balanced outputs to FOH, and simultaneously both unbalanced outputs to the Matrix.

Back
Top Bottom