Rig Setup help - Two amp heads with Axe FX (V / JP2C)

Thaymz

Hi all

Apologies in advance this is a longish post.

Hoping those with more knowledge / experience with amp setups might be able to provide some ideas on possible rig / routing options. I know most people on this forum might be using the axe to replace tube amps but this is not something I want to do.

My current setup is as follow:

Gear
- Mark V
- Axe FX II
- Torpedo Reload
- Mesa Vertical Rectifier 2x12
- Apogee Quartet

Setup
- Mark V is running 4CM with the Axe FX allowing for both tube / Axe FX presets.
- USB from the Axe feeds the DI straight into Logic.
- Mesa speaker out goes into the Reload functioning both as a power attenuator to control speaker volume and load box which feeds into the Quartet / Logic. IR's are added in Logic. Cab is mic'd which also feeds into logic through another input on the Quartet.
- Axe FX presets and V channel changing managed by FCB1010 Midi foot controller.

This setup allows me to record DI / Loadbox / Mic simultaneously, Reamp the DI back through the rig, monitor using the 2x12 and / or DAW and headphones seamlessly all without changing a single cable or setting. Although reamping requires 1 setting change on the Axe. For me, its the perfect setup.

So the issue is I just bought a JP2C and don't know if I can incorporate into the rig and keep the same level of convenience. I know it's probably a lot to ask but between the hardware there's a lot of I/Os and just want to make sure I explore all options before adding new hardware which I might not need.

The aim is to be able to use my foot controller, to be able to switch from V to JP2C based on the preset. Ideally being able to use both power sections and through the single 2x12 speaker cab would be great too but based on my research and some limitations I may have to choose one.

The Axe has a Left and R signal, so I've worked out that I should be able run the FX loop block as either L or R switching from Mark V to JP2C preamps running 7CM. When it comes to the power amp section, dummy load, slave out etc, I have no idea how I can make use of these. Ideally, I would want to use the Power section of the JP2C given the transformer that is used on the assumption that the benefit of that transformer is not necessarily in the preamp sound.

Possible solutions that may or may not work
- Get another Reload and speaker cab (not preferred due to cost / space). Plus not sure if I'm keeping both amps at this stage although I plan to.
- Continue to route the Mark V speaker out to Reload and then slave out to JP2C somehow routing that signal back through the JP2C power section. Not sure how or if this works given the 7CM signal routing. This way the Mark V will have a dummy load and direct load signal to DAW and the JP2C runs through to Speaker Cab and Cab clone DI for direct recording. Given the forced speaker simulation on the cab clone I'd prefer a direct out option but don't think there is one on the JP2C.
- Any other options with the slave out or current outputs that I'm overlooking?
- Are there any other different ways to utilise the Axe FX loop?
- Potentially there's some sort of switcher A / B device that I can add in to the signal chain but would need to maintain the Axe FX 4/7CM integration?
- Any other hardware I could add?

I've been racking my brain and trying to research with no luck given how unique some setups can be. Any help / ideas suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The amp's not here yet and won't be for a while so I won't be able to do any trial and error until then.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sounds like you might need a head switcher is sorts??
I believe Radial make a stompbox thing can handle the loads of tube amps or Egnater make a 4 head switcher (might be overkill) that has individual line outs for each head.

Back
Top Bottom