Rig question (1 axefx 2, 1 evh 5153 50 watt, two orange 2x12 cabs)

jaml0l

Okay, so.

I had an idea for my band's live rig, but i don't have very much experience with power amps/routing etc.
I know it's possible to run 2 guitars with separate tones into the axe fx. But would it be possible to run it like this.
2 guitars -> Axe fx -> effects loop of evh 5153 50w -> two seperate 2 x12 cabs.
Sorry for the awful explanation, it's pretty hard to describe haha.

i'm assuming you'd want the separate guitar tones coming out of each cab?

the effects loop of the amp will sum everything coming out of the axe, so the same signal would be coming out of both cabs.

i'm not sure how guitar cabs sound with multiple guitars coming out.

Is there any method to get it to run each tone separately in each cab? I've seen an australian band called thy art is murder use one single power amp for two guitars.

no you cant with a regular amp head.
maybe thy art is murder guys use a stereo power amp, which has 2 separate channels. a guitar head is effectively a single-channel power amp

this scenario would work: 2 guitars. 1 axe fx. stereo power amp. stereo 4x12 cabinet or separate cabinets
or
2 guitars 1 axe fx, 2 amp heads. 2 cabinets

As has been said, the mono FX loop and power section of the amp will mean you won't be able to separate the two guitar tones to separate cabinets. If you wanted to be able to do that, you'd have to be running a stereo amp head (don't think there are too many around... I think I saw some ridiculous Diezel or something that had this), two separate heads, or perhaps more sensibly, just a stereo rack poweramp. That could be a guitar-y Marshall/Mesa/Fryette/ENGL/whatever, or something SS like a Matrix.

I run my guitar, and also our violin player through my Axe to two separate cabinets. One side of the Matrix goes to my 2x12, the other side is to the wedge for the violin. For the Axe it's no problem at all, but you need two separate channels of power if you want to be able to separate the sounds to different cabs.

That's clear, anyway if he doesn't play both instruments at the same time, he could run both guitars with differents sounds through his amp head and adding a pedal switcher for cab A/B.

Back
Top Bottom