Riddle me this: CCs for scene changes killing Axe-Fx

solo-act

Fractal Fanatic
I'm about to troubleshoot this further and wondered if it's happened to anyone one else. As I think through info below, maybe it's just system file is corrupted and I should restore or from backup. Or...the Axe-Fx is going on 6 years old -- maybe it's just the battery?

Please read and let me know if you've experienced this or have any ideas. Thanks!

Just last night, and never before with Axe-Fx, CCs for scene changes started killing the audio through Axe-Fx layout page.
  • It happens with any preset, any block and even a preset with zero blocks, only shunts.
  • When CC is received, guitar audio entering and passing through the layout section immediately goes to zero at all Axe-Fx outputs.
  • Once audio is killed, it's dead at layout page for any preset.
  • Rebooting the unit clears the problem, and all is well until Axe-Fx receives another CC.
It appears to be limited only to audio at layout page; there's plenty of audio at input, and audio when preset is bypassed just like always. It doesn't occur if switching scenes on front panel with knob A, only if a CC to switch scenes is received.

FYI, Axe-Fx is set for CC1 to change scenes, and value 0 is scene 1, value 1 is scene 2, etc.
Other things I know so far:
  • Program change is not killing the audio
  • CC1 at values 1 to 4 is killing audio whether sent from a DAW or a midi foot switch.
  • I've put midi monitors on everything, and ONLY PC and CC are being sent
  • Even stranger, not all CC1 values kill the audio - CC1 at value 100 works fine.
  • CC33 at 0 and 100 does not kill the audio.
All my automation uses CC1 so changing to another CC would be crazy; it'd have be changed in hundreds of places.

Thanks in advance!

Turns out it was a system file that started getting glitchy.
Restored from backup and all is good. I'm replacing battery in case that had anything to do with it. Never had that happen before.

Back up your presets and system on your unit and computer! - it could save your ass some day, or make your day a lot less painful.

Last edited:
It sounds like Input Volume or Output 1 Volume might have been set to CC#1. Maybe enter got bumped in that menu & then CC#1 was learned as one of them.

Back
Top Bottom