• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Rickenbacker Bass Pickup Help Needed

dr bonkers

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
My trusty 1980 Rickenbacker 4003 bass ( my first proper bass that I bought used in 1988) suddenly dropped to 1/2 the output level compared to both my other basses, whether switched on neck only, bridge only, or both pickup settings.

The pots test out to tolerance, so I know they are not the issue. The jack contacts test out fine, as does the pickup selector switch.

Since I am in NJ, who would you bring this to in order to diagnose and repair the pickups if the coil contacts oxidized or, egads, the pickups needed to be rewound? I heard this is a common issue for pickups of that era rather than the caps going bad.

I really don't want to have to pull the wiring harness with pickups and send it halfway across the country in case they get lost in the mail, since I know Rickenbacker parts are a small fortune and near unobtainium to get from Mr. Hall.

Womac911

Inspired
Call Lollar. www.lollarguitars.com

Hall sued Lollar a few years ago for making the Ricky horseshoe pickup reproductions. A design who's patent expired decades ago....

It wasn't a patent issue though. Hall had the gall to trademark the 3 dimensional design, including the horseshoes. Problem is, you can't trademark a functional aspect of a product... which the magnets (horseshoes) are.

Akin to trademarking the round shape of a wheel.

I don't work for Lollar. In fact, I'm a direct competitor of theirs. But Jason knows his Rick stuff pretty well, and he's a great guy.

sskkmm

Power User
I had a bass pickup just die...turned out to be broken wires somewhere in the coil. Just bought a new one and replaced.

dr bonkers

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
I had a bass pickup just die...turned out to be broken wires somewhere in the coil. Just bought a new one and replaced.
Yeah, I really don't want to replace with an aftermarket pickup because the cult of Rick likes original and I loved the original sound.

Top Bottom