Rick graham lead tone

Old post, but +1 to this. Check out his tone here. I'm pretty sure that his tone is 99% in the fingers, but that's one asskicker of a sound.

I think he has stated he uses the JCM 800 with the Plus distortion in front of it. I don't know which cabs he has in there though

In 100% seriousness, not being clever or anything, Rick's tone IS in his fingers. Watch a few vids on his channel and you can see him play a les paul, strat, ibanez, suhr etc, and then also through a bunch of different amps (and i think even a few other modelers like guitar rig or something like it) and it still sounds 100% like him. But yea he uses a JCM800 with a plus distortion in front of it like kmanick said.

I agree hopefully he post up his patches sooner or later lol. Hey Sean you can tone match that for me? What you charging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what everyone is saying is true...but it's not just Rick. If you have any sort of style that is yours you will sound like you no matter what. i sound like "me' through anything. my touch, vibrato, attack, note selection, phrasing is all "me" no matter what. to me that's why it's so important to be yourself and develop "you", not chase a tone thinking it's going to get you to sound like player x. (not implying that's what the OP was doing, just saying)

I agree hopefully he post up his patches sooner or later lol. Hey Sean you can tone match that for me? What you charging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd love to but I don't think I could get it man. It's either in his hands, or beyond my skill level of axe-fx ing

Here is a test of his tone that I have been working on, trying to transcribe one of his solos.
hey this sounds great :) thanks
I see you used the Eternal love instead of the Plus for the OD
Hmmm? don't know which one I like better both sound really good, I know rick uses the plus but he is using single coil too, what guitar did you use to try and match this ?
(regardless it's a great sounding patch so thanks)

Thanks kmanick, I have custom made JS with Di-Marzio pickups (air norton and steve special if I can recall).. I tried various drives but eternal love sounded close.. I am not much of a tweaker. :)

First off, there will always be issues with presets this old. Many major updates have happened since it was posted.

I converted it and imported it into my AX8. I had sound, but the CPU is way over limit for the AX8.
  1. Removed Multi-Delay and Rotary blocks
  2. Preset now works without crackling, but still has issues
  3. The Delay and Reverb are not sounding normal and some settings look odd?
  4. Reset the Delay and Reverb models used to new defaults, sounds better.
  5. Lowered 'Echo Density' in Reverb block to 4. (for CPU reasons)
  6. Copied Amp X to Amp Y
  7. Reset Amp X to new defaults (many 'Advanced' parameters are different, differences in firmware or intentional? probably both?)
  8. Copied all parameters of Amp Y (the original) to Amp X
  9. Amp X now has all of the hidden parameters reset to default, but has all of the exposed parameters of the original preset. (X and Y now sound very similar)
  10. Reset Amp Y and copied only the 'Basic' page of the original preset
  11. Amp Y now has all of the parameters reset to new defaults, but has all of the 'Basic' parameters of the original preset. (this gives you the current version of this Amp model to check out)
  12. Did not reset any other blocks. Some things have changed along the way for the Drive, Flanger, and Comp blocks that may require resetting too?
Downloading older presets can be a lost cause, as so much has changed, there is no way of knowing what was intentional. Old tweaks that helped the tone, may hurt the tone now? They can help steer you in the right direction, or lead down the wrong path.

Attachments

• Brit 800 (Graham).syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 87
Back
Top Bottom