Rick Derringer played at our studio yesterday....

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
He use to be neighbors with my bassist and we rehearse at our bassist's large scale printing company. He has a huge separate room dedicated to band rehearsal. Anyways, Rick sometimes asks to use to quickly rehearse before a show. I have not been able to catch them before, due to work. But yesterday I went over and met them and listened for 30 minutes. He played Free Ride by Edgar Winter and his tune, Hang on Sloopy. I didn't hang around for Rock n Roll Hoochie Coo.

He brought his pedalboard consisting of a Klon OD, Strymon delay and a tuner. He just plugged into his little Dumble style preamp unit and then split into 2 amps we had a studio(Kustom combo and a Bogner Alchemist).

I didn't get the chance to show him the Axe Fx II rig, but maybe I'll call him and see if he would be interested in trying it out sometime. Anyways...nothing crazy, just thought was cool.

He is a cool guy. My band opened for him & Edgar Winter for several shows back in the early 90's. Both great players & nice people!

Reactions: spv
Was he playing one of his Warrior guitar with P90s?

His Warrior with his red Dimarzio "Rick Derringer" signature humbuckers. His drummer was telling me that he forgot that Dimarzio made signature pickups for him. That he was at an event with Earl Slick and the guys asked what the pickups were in Earl's guitar...he said they are Rick Derringer signature Dimarzios and he puts them in a lot of guitars. He then called Larry and asked to have some. Great story. Who forgets they had custom signature Dimarzios made!?!?!?!

So, this thread has me hugely nostalgic... I have always thought Rick Derringer was one of Guitar's great unsung heroes. I ripped every lick I could from him in the 70s. In 1976, I was 16... and I had an ID that said I was 24 (drinking age was 18 in WI at that time). I used the ID to get into a bar in Madison WI called "El Tejon" for the sole purpose of seeing Rick Derringer...(I think the ticket was $16). He was there with his band at the time which included Kenny Aaronson on bass, Vinny Appice on drums, and Mark Johnson on 2nd guitar (yes, Mark Johnson, who had apparently just replaced Danny Johnson, who went on to form Axis, and currently plays with Steppenwolf). Anyway... it was a blow out show... unbelievable. A real treat if you were into loud guitars (of course). And all at very close range. The "Derringer Live" album came out in 1977 (with Danny Johnson), and was based on recordings made during the same or adjacent tour. Those guys knew how to rock, and that show remains one of the best I have ever seen (all nostalgia aside). If you haven't listened to that semi rare album... you should. Frikkin awesome, and so much fun.

His Warrior with his red Dimarzio "Rick Derringer" signature humbuckers. His drummer was telling me that he forgot that Dimarzio made signature pickups for him. That he was at an event with Earl Slick and the guys asked what the pickups were in Earl's guitar...he said they are Rick Derringer signature Dimarzios and he puts them in a lot of guitars. He then called Larry and asked to have some. Great story. Who forgets they had custom signature Dimarzios made!?!?!?!

People who have had sets made by me, that's who. lol. I did several sets of an Alnico 2/Ceramic blend P90 for him for his P90 loaded Warriors. Warrior and I were in discussions about OEM for the Derringer models, but the owner never followed up. Rick love'ed 'em though,

Met Rick several years ago when he played at a club about a mile from my house
(Milford, CT). Great show, great player! Bought his latest album (at the time) and had
him sign it. My band currently covers "Free Ride" & "R&R Hoochie Koo".
Actually, my first concert in 1974 included the Edgar Winter Group w/Rick D.
One of my favorite players!

So, this thread has me hugely nostalgic... I have always thought Rick Derringer was one of Guitar's great unsung heroes. I ripped every lick I could from him in the 70s. In 1976, I was 16... and I had an ID that said I was 24 (drinking age was 18 in WI at that time). I used the ID to get into a bar in Madison WI called "El Tejon" for the sole purpose of seeing Rick Derringer...(I think the ticket was $16). He was there with his band at the time which included Kenny Aaronson on bass, Vinny Appice on drums, and Mark Johnson on 2nd guitar (yes, Mark Johnson, who had apparently just replaced Danny Johnson, who went on to form Axis, and currently plays with Steppenwolf). Anyway... it was a blow out show... unbelievable. A real treat if you were into loud guitars (of course). And all at very close range. The "Derringer Live" album came out in 1977 (with Danny Johnson), and was based on recordings made during the same or adjacent tour. Those guys knew how to rock, and that show remains one of the best I have ever seen (all nostalgia aside). If you haven't listened to that semi rare album... you should. Frikkin awesome, and so much fun.

THIS album was a huge influence on me before I even started guitar as a kid.. I was already pro on air guitar though.

My big brother had it on 8-track tape.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/derringer-live/id359787334

Back
Top Bottom