Rick Beato on string gauge

9's on shredders, 10's on everything else, 11's on my Gretsch. I can do the same stuff across almost all of them, harder to do a full major 3rd or 4th bend on the gretsch but i don't really play them that way anyway.
Same for me- NYXL Balanced Tension 10's on everything but my Gretsch- that get's 11's. The Bigsby feels amazing with 11s. I've definitely played around with 9s and 9.5s, and I genuinely prefer the feel of the 10s on my other guitars. I like the tension and fight of them.

me: watches youtube video' you've probably been sleeping with the wrong wife!"
me: sorry, honey. it's time to part ways...

I use 9's, 10's, hybrids. for me its more about the feel and what guitar I'm putting them on

Same for me- NYXL Balanced Tension 10's on everything but my Gretsch- that get's 11's. The Bigsby feels amazing with 11s. I've definitely played around with 9s and 9.5s, and I genuinely prefer the feel of the 10s on my other guitars. I like the tension and fight of them.
I like the balanced tensions as well, unfortunately, I bought like 10 packs of the regular XL's and now I have to use these up, lol.

Honestly, to me, comparing close gauges is up to the musician's preference !
9-42, 9-46, 10-46, it's not like comparing the heavier gauge some people put on les pauls etc...
There is a slight difference in confort and ringing, but there is no wrong choice.

My personnal experience is that I like how 9-46 sounds, but I'm just too heavy handed for 9 and I play better with 10, so I will probably never play 9 again :)

I am feeling total confirmation bias as I watch this video because this is exactly what I have been saying... but he should be using an Axe-Fx III and adjusting pre- and post-EQ. We don't know how good we have it in this mighty black box.
Agreed, and the original Beato video, they didn't touch any settings....so the 'better' sounding string has more to do with how the amp was set.

Reminds me so much of a friend of mine who plugs in a new guitar and says - don't like it, it's too bright.
And I always say - um, did you turn the treble down on your amp?
And he says - no, I shouldn't have to.
And I say - that has to be the dumbest thing anyone has ever said, ever, in any universe.

I hate the fact that I have to see a video to know what's been saying.
Is there an executive summary?
His opinion - string selection should be about what is comfortable (what amount of tension you like). Any difference in tone between different gauges of strings can be solved via Eq.
(assuming you're talking about the latest video posted and not the original)

The original video showed that there is a tone difference between different gauges of strings and that lower gauges were a little clearer in the upper mids (and a little less muddy).

His opinion - string selection should be about what is comfortable (what amount of tension you like). Any difference in tone between different gauges of strings can be solved via Eq.
(assuming you're talking about the latest video posted and not the original)

The original video showed that there is a tone difference between different gauges of strings and that lower gauges were a little clearer in the upper mids (and a little less muddy).
Original video was trying to show how people are wrong for using thicker strings when lighter strings aren’t as boomy and have more clarity. It was trying to angle itself as “oh look you should try lighter strings” but was clearly a “I use 8s and everyone else should too because they’re better.”

It is amazing that all these seasoned pro guitarists had no idea thinner strings would have less low end.:rolleyes: And also didn’t think to use EQ to match the results.

I get the feeling that some people missed or are intentionally ignoring the premise of the original video.

The premise was that many guitarists stick a drive pedal before the amp to tighten up the bass response, and that they could instead use lighter strings to achieve the same result.

I get the feeling that some people missed or are intentionally ignoring the premise of the original video.

The premise was that many guitarists stick a drive pedal before the amp to tighten up the bass response, and that they could instead use lighter strings to achieve the same result.
sure. but this is rick. he typically has a very "strong" way of presenting options if you catch my drift.

why on earth would you change guitar strings instead of using a drive pedal? if it was to illustrate that fact, he could have just left it at that, but he was clearly trying to convince those in the room with him - and the viewers - to change to lighter strings regardless. that's how it came across to me, similar to his other videos.

no coincidence that he preferred how the 8s sounded - without changing the amp knobs - and that he uses 8s. i'd love to see a 1 or 2 month update from Rhett on his experience using 9s. you completely have to change how you play guitar, which is much more than just reducing bass on the amp or not having to use a drive pedal to reduce bass.

it's all in the presentation.

9-42 - standard, can find them just anywhere.

Anyway, this is just one of those 'feel' things where every guitar player is right.

After 40+ years of trial and mistakes I do think that sound comes from the combination of fingers and the brain, not strings.

If you switch string gauge don't you need to do a setup for optimal intonation and playability?
I watched the vid and switched to 9s on my main guitar which is 25.75" scale length to try it and decide for myself (noting I have nowhere near as much expierence as others here, and I learn a lot from considering the information and views of others).

Re. your query, it threw my neck out, and as the action is really low, I was getting buzzing. Had to adjust the truss rod to sort out. Haven't dealt with the intonation yet but expect that will need adjusting. Re. result, tonewise it seems positive, with some improved clarity, but I note from other comments EQ could probably achieve the same tone result. What I am enjoying, which needs some adjusting to, is reduced string tension which is an improvement for me on this scale length - more like the feel of 10s on my 24.75" guitars which I like. Cheers.

sure. but this is rick. he typically has a very "strong" way of presenting options if you catch my drift.

why on earth would you change guitar strings instead of using a drive pedal? if it was to illustrate that fact, he could have just left it at that, but he was clearly trying to convince those in the room with him - and the viewers - to change to lighter strings regardless. that's how it came across to me, similar to his other videos.

no coincidence that he preferred how the 8s sounded - without changing the amp knobs - and that he uses 8s. i'd love to see a 1 or 2 month update from Rhett on his experience using 9s. you completely have to change how you play guitar, which is much more than just reducing bass on the amp or not having to use a drive pedal to reduce bass.

it's all in the presentation.
I watched the vid and am trying this out to decide for myself, with some good results so far but still a work in progress. I have nowhere near as much knowledge experience as others here, and I learn a lot from considering the information and views of others, including internet sources such as youtube. I accept a lot of what is portrayed is just opinion, often dramatised (just look at the views in this thread for evidence of that).

I agree the title is worded to grab attention and clicks (isn't that how politics works now (wrongly)). I also agree there are flaws with the analysis (e.g. not using optimal amp settings for the respective strings). However, for someone like myself, Rick/many others (LT, That Pedal Show, etc etc) provide some useful info/opinions which I can consider as I build my own knowledge and determine my own view on what is right for me. Like others I also get frustrated with much of what I see, and the proliferation of misinformation. But that is people. I also accept that there are many who take too much of what they read as truth. That is a problem, and the group-think mentality, as people gravitate to the opinions of those who think similarly, is worrisome and playing out at high levels on the world stage.

Since this is all getting pretty deep, one more viewpoint for consideration - I waded through all the rhetoric re. the approach for the FM3. It is clear there is no single approach that would satisfy all. However, in the mix were suggestions to the effect that why should anything change (i.e. re. the approach always used). I thought this was a fascinating perspective. Taking that thinking to its logical conclusion we would not have AXE-FX3s, FMs, Fractal, nor effects, amps and guitars for that matter. I am an advocate of continuous improvement (and damn if my guitar playing does not need heaps more of that). The views of others all contribute to that journey. Cheers.

I watched the vid and am trying this out to decide for myself, with some good results so far but still a work in progress. I have nowhere near as much knowledge experience as others here, and I learn a lot from considering the information and views of others, including internet sources such as youtube. I accept a lot of what is portrayed is just opinion, often dramatised (just look at the views in this thread for evidence of that).

I agree the title is worded to grab attention and clicks (isn't that how politics works now (wrongly)). I also agree there are flaws with the analysis (e.g. not using optimal amp settings for the respective strings). However, for someone like myself, Rick/many others (LT, That Pedal Show, etc etc) provide some useful info/opinions which I can consider as I build my own knowledge and determine my own view on what is right for me. Like others I also get frustrated with much of what I see, and the proliferation of misinformation. But that is people. I also accept that there are many who take too much of what they read as truth. That is a problem, and the group-think mentality, as people gravitate to the opinions of those who think similarly, is worrisome and playing out at high levels on the world stage.

Since this is all getting pretty deep, one more viewpoint for consideration - I waded through all the rhetoric re. the approach for the FM3. It is clear there is no single approach that would satisfy all. However, in the mix were suggestions to the effect that why should anything change (i.e. re. the approach always used). I thought this was a fascinating perspective. Taking that thinking to its logical conclusion we would not have AXE-FX3s, FMs, Fractal, nor effects, amps and guitars for that matter. I am an advocate of continuous improvement (and damn if my guitar playing does not need heaps more of that). The views of others all contribute to that journey. Cheers.
i agree that knowledge is good, and experimentation is good and leads to new discoveries.

if rick said "you can change string gauge and it will reduce low EQ" that's one thing. but his thumbnail and video point of view was literally "you're using the wrong gauge." that's a pretty big difference, and the only thing i disagree with. how could he possibly know what is "wrong" for me or anyone else?

if you want less low end, you wouldn't first change your guitar string gauge. you'd turn the bass knob down or many other ways to accomplish that without changing how your instrument feels.

experiment with string gauges for feel of the instrument. good lord don't play 8s for less low end only.

i agree that knowledge is good, and experimentation is good and leads to new discoveries.

if rick said "you can change string gauge and it will reduce low EQ" that's one thing. but his thumbnail and video point of view was literally "you're using the wrong gauge." that's a pretty big difference, and the only thing i disagree with. how could he possibly know what is "wrong" for me or anyone else?

if you want less low end, you wouldn't first change your guitar string gauge. you'd turn the bass knob down or many other ways to accomplish that without changing how your instrument feels.

experiment with string gauges for feel of the instrument. good lord don't play 8s for less low end only.
Unfortunately that's the world we have, be it the internet, TV, supermarket, department store, breakfast cereals and politics. I concede that if he was truly a subject matter expert whose sole goal was to impartially pass on knowledge, then the title should not have been dramatised. As you indicate, there is more to the grab than just passing on info (opinion).

Title aside, what I took away from the comparison was that the lighter gauges seemed to have more clarity / definition across the string range. I also noted they seemed more more trebly/brighter - yes no doubt probably pretty obvious, and I have a question mark as to whether or not this works for me. Then there is the feel which is a benefit for me.

So I am giving it a try, as with my lessor experience, I have typically just gone with 10s as these seemed to be somewhat typical and safe, and I didn't know better. At this point I have not reached an outcome, other than there seem to be some definition and feel positives for me with the 9-42s. I accept some of that could be achieved in different ways. So yes, the title is dramatised, but am I trying some new things and also learning some other things that I may not have had the title not grabbed my attention (which was prior to this thread).

Unfortunately that's the world we have, be it the internet, TV, supermarket, department store, breakfast cereals and politics. I concede that if he was truly a subject matter expert whose sole goal was to impartially pass on knowledge, then the title should not have been dramatised. As you indicate, there is more to the grab than just passing on info (opinion).

Title aside, what I took away from the comparison was that the lighter gauges seemed to have more clarity / definition across the string range. I also noted they seemed more more trebly/brighter - yes no doubt probably pretty obvious, and I have a question mark as to whether or not this works for me. Then there is the feel which is a benefit for me.

So I am giving it a try, as with my lessor experience, I have typically just gone with 10s as these seemed to be somewhat typical and safe, and I didn't know better. At this point I have not reached an outcome, other than there seem to be some definition and feel positives for me with the 9-42s. I accept some of that could be achieved in different ways. So yes, the title is dramatised, but am I trying some new things and also learning some other things that I may not have had the title not grabbed my attention (which was prior to this thread).
well you're probably using the wrong string gauge. ;)

Here are Tony Iommi's string gauges on the live guitars:

For the D# tuning,
.008p, .008p, .011p, .018w, .024w, .032w

For the C# tuning,
.009p, .010p, .012p, .020w, .032w, .042w

.008's tuned down (!!!)....and I don't think anyone would argue he doesn't have a massive, powerful, full sound...food for thought.

Well, less low end into the preamp due to lighter strings, and turning the bass EQ knob that's pretty much always post preamp, are 2 totally different things. I mean, they're not even close really. And even if you put an EQ before the preamp like a Mark series amp, or in the Axe-Fx, it's still not really the same as changing string gauges. You can EQ like a madman, but there's still going to be differences.

Back
Top Bottom