Rhythm training app?

addedc

Experienced
I have a friend who has been playing guitar a long time, but has a very weak sense of rhythm. He is trying to play in a band, but this is holding him back. He has a hard time strumming musically (I think he lacks a sense of where the one is and how to accent). He also has a hard time coming in on time so he plays between the beats. He can maintain a beat to time. He just tends to be a little behind or sometimes ahead.

Does anyone of a good rhythm trainer app that could help him? I see there a bunch out there but I wonder if anyone has tried several and knows the best one? It doesn't have to be free. Or maybe there's another suggestion for him? Appreciate any tips.

Thanks!

Playing even 8ths with a metronome and moving the accented note to different spots so he can freely play and accent any spot in the 8th note pattern is a good drill to start with. Also recording himself in a daw and looking at where his notes are landing on the grid after and then trying to get as close to the grid as possible.

I have a friend who has been playing guitar a long time, but has a very weak sense of rhythm. He is trying to play in a band, but this is holding him back. He has a hard time strumming musically (I think he lacks a sense of where the one is and how to accent). He also has a hard time coming in on time so he plays between the beats. He can maintain a beat to time. He just tends to be a little behind or sometimes ahead.

Does anyone of a good rhythm trainer app that could help him? I see there a bunch out there but I wonder if anyone has tried several and knows the best one? It doesn't have to be free. Or maybe there's another suggestion for him? Appreciate any tips.

Thanks!

Foot tapping / stomping is a good start too.

Rhythm is much more about *feel* than it is about figuring it all out mentally. Yes, you can practice hitting beats and such, and these are valuable tools, but really it comes from the inside. Can your friend dance? If so, it's the same thing. If not, he won't be able to think his way into having good timing - just help him get his head out of the way and find the groove.

Get a metronome app - practice rhythm only exercises. Practice in different time signatures finding the "1". Accent the 1.
I'm sure theres also some videos on you tube about practicing rhythm.
It was easy for me - I was a drummer for like 20 years ;)

He should play with a drummer. Real or MIDI. Not something as rigid as a metronome.

This way, he will also learn to play around the beat: on, behind or ahead depending on the song. Given that the drummer is a good one.

Practicing guitar and jamming with a drum loop is a more realistic scenario than a metronome. He will learn to lock in much faster IMHO.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. This forum is the best. The guy does tap his foot while he plays but that doesn't seem to transfer to his right hand. It kind of baffles me how he can be so oblivious when he is off from the rest of the band.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. This forum is the best. The guy does tap his foot while he plays but that doesn't seem to transfer to his right hand. It kind of baffles me how he can be so oblivious when he is off from the rest of the band.
OR start learning Rush, Yes, and King Crimson tracks... 4/4 will soon be a piece of cake for him !
And sometimes foot tapping is counter-intuitive - I have never been a fan of that.. maybe stop the foot tapping...:D

A great advanced challenge:

Play with a metronome :
- playing quarter notes
- playing half notes
- playing whole notes
- playing a click every other bar
- playing a click every third bar, etc., etc.

Syncing to a click that his hitting downbeats only is a pretty good goal for this one...

our keyboard player has the same symptoms. I love the guy, but just don't understand why he can't get it.
He sure tries though

Thanks for all the suggestions. He has a DAW and is going to try the metronome exercises. The rod is always a fallback.

Back
Top Bottom