Rhett Shull's Modeller Setup Tips

ak301

Power User
He just uses the HX Stomp and Kemper, but it was interesting none the less even though I was already doing the High and Low pass filters, though not so much since I got my III

Just watched this, and IMO he does his audience a disservice, especially people new to modeling, with his sloppy choice of words about modeling amps vs cabs. High cuts in particular aren't needed because real guitar amps don't reproduce those frequencies, it's much more because part of what a real-world guitar speaker does is cut highs. He's also applying the term FRFR to modelers, as opposed to the much more common use as a description of a playback system.

Maybe I'm just nit-picking, but those bits really struck me as unhelpful.

OTOH, his music at the start of the video was great, easily among my favorites that I've heard from him. And all those tones were an HX Stomp :). It's not just the tones though, the whole vibe was great.

Maybe I'm just nit-picking, but those bits really struck me as unhelpful.
I agree the wording is a bit "clunky", some of the stuff he was talking about regarding the Axe Fx was not correct but not wrong either depends on what your going for and the way your looking at it at the time. And the comments on high's and low's made me cringe a little (to much to get into). I like Rhett's channel, and he has always struck me as a slightly biased when it comes to tube amp's, and that's OK! There are people who are biased towards modeler's. I like both.

All I know he got some awesome sounds from the HX Stomp, like the tune, the video, and always enjoy his playing.

Last edited:
High cuts in particular aren't needed because real guitar amps don't reproduce those frequencies, it's much more because part of what a real-world guitar speaker does is cut highs.
I haven't watched the video, but I'm not sure I agree with you.

The Axe Fx models the entire signal chain from effects to amp to cab to mic to mixer (mic pre).

I don't believe it adds frequencies that are not there in the real world.

I think you're right that when listening to a guitar cab in the room, you won't hear those frequencies... But adding a mic right on the speaker is a different story.

Back
Top Bottom