Rhett Shull Axe-FXIII Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not the most intuitive interface but I don't know how you could solve that given the button layout and real estate availability. I'd rather have the deep options it allows rather than dumbing it down for usability from the front panel. I have everything pretty much dialed in at rehearsals using a laptop or a desktop at home and have almost never touched the unit at a gig. I think having all of it set up and ready to go before gigs (pre production) should be standard practice whether you use digital or all analog.

Anyone who thinks the UI can be improved without slowing down or removing access to functionality should propose an alternative UI.

I like the current front-panel UI. (I use it far more often than the editor.) I think it gives access to the functions we need, given the space restrictions...and in a logical format that doesn't take long to learn.

That, however, doesn't mean it can't be improved on. Maybe it can; but the only way we'll know is if someone proposes an alternative UI and, after poking at it, we all conclude that the alternative is better.

DR.Dipwad
I 'm total agree with you...to me the UI is almost perfect, and I like the focus Cliff has on developing the modeling prosess..
That's the strength of Fractals product line...

I agree with everything he says. I am loving the sounds and the experience I get through the editor. I never use the front panel. I have tried, and I always end up frustrated. I understand that user interface is not as easily updated as the firmware, as you cannot easily put new buttons/screens or even text on the unit. I think the III is a major leap forward from the AX8 I used to have.

I think the biggest issue getting started with the front panel is the lack of a front panel quick start guide/cheat sheet.

There are many buttons that do stuff that is not apparent from the front panel text. Some of them are not even in the manual, and those that are in the manual, you have to find by digging through the entire manual.

The entire manual is built function by function. Basically there is a long explanation about how something works, and then 'here's how to access it from the front panel. It would work much better for my intuition, if there were at least a few follow along examples, where you start from a blank front screen and end up with a simple preset. There's a tutorial for applying scene controllers. How to build a preset seems like something to add.

Example of the front panel complexity: A shunt is first mentioned on page 34 in the manual. Then the explanation of shunts and cables goes on until page 37. At the bottom of page 36 you find the shortcut to insert multiple shunts and cables by holding down Enter. Don't tell me there is not a better way. And you have to find all this in the manual. There is no way, you could intuitively know how to connect a cable (or even what it is) without finding it in the manual on page 35. And unless you find the shortcut in the manual page 36, you will be inserting shunts and cables manually until you explode.

I totally acknowledge that my lack of understanding of the UI is because i never ever use it. But every time I try, it is just an utterly frustrating experience. So as Cliff would say:"I don't do that!"

I like the guy generally and the review appears sincere, tho having a 'loaner' for 2.5 years and JUST getting around to it... Seems like it's an approach from someone who just took it brand new out of the box and didn't invest the time getting to know some of the "navigation basics" of his $2500 investment. BUT, does know enough to create a bit expensive preset pack? I'd have leaned towards, "It's not a toy, it's a pro-gear unit and the best of the bunch, just spend a little extra time learning the front panel if you think you want to use that method. Take away is after 2 ½ years, it's still a kick ass beast!

I only use the front panel pushing page to choose distant preset sometimes, but globally I never use the front panel . Can’t imagine to built presets with it
Like everything it’s surely possible when you know all the tricks but it’s so unintuitive brrr . Even the feel of the buttons is crappy . No… axe edit all the way

I do 99% of my programming on the UI front panel and I fail to see how it could be easier and still give you all parameters . Maybe they could introduce "idiot mode" where you could toggle between the UI we have now and something very limited but contains the things that you would want in a performance. Mmmmmm we could call it "performance mode":tearsofjoy:
Two years and he still can't work it!

Funny thing is that some UI stuff actually is the preference of users.
Example: he complains that selecting a preset on the Home > Presets screen, doesn't drop you back to the main Home Screen, or Layout grid.
It used be that way, but it was changed because users wished for the Presets menu to be sticky.
Shows that's it's hard to please everyone.
You can make stuff optional, but I'm not sure if that would be the solution.

Dave I did the EXACT same thing...I used it for almost 6 months without using the editor. Forces you to learn the interface. That being said I pretty much use axedit exclusively now. It's such a nice editor. Only thing I wish is for an authentic type tab for some of the effects...but even that really isn't necessary.

We are a bit spoiled with Axe Edit. I agree that learning the front panel is an awesome idea and it is pretty solid and simple to use.
The reality is - there are a LOT of controls, and creating a perfect UI that matches the way everyone's brains work, is impossible. I think Fractal is doing a solid job with where they are at.

I'll compare to folks that praise the Quad Cortex touch screen (and I have one in front of me right now). Yes, it's easy to use...and pretty convenient...BUT it has 5% (or likely less) of the features that the Axe has. Their UI is easy, because it has VERY limited controls.
You can't have it both ways - if you want lots of options, then you have to navigate TO those options. If you want it simple....then just use the basic B-M-T controls and you'll do just fine.

As long as I can fix basic stuff on the fly, I'm very happy.
If I need to do deep editing (and I am thankful we CAN do deep editing on the Axe), then I will use Axe Edit.
We have the best of both worlds.

Fair review I thought - Being FP averse generally, if I was gigging with Axfx (or any deep featured device for that matter) I'd definely be looking to integrate an old laptop to have a full size editor available for emergency tweeks, but, if I found myself having to often deep tweek at live events beyond what can be set up on the FP perform page, hopefully I'd be looking into pre-testing my presets better.

I re-watched the part of the video where he critiques the front panel and this is a pure case of not knowing how to operate the front panel. Period.

For example, he uses the large encoder to find the preset he wants when the more efficient method would be to use the direction buttons to jump from one column to the next. You even have the “Sort” button to alphabetize the presets, making it easier to fine the name of the preset you want. “Two extra button pushes” to go home. No, that’s one button push to load the preset and one to go home. Maybe the engineers could have it so a double-press of the Enter button takes you home? Or maybe the “pinned” behavior can be toggled on and off like it is in the editor (design consistency)?

He goes on a rant about the deep parameters and then admits that he spends most of his time in the Authentic and Ideal tabs and that you don’t have to use the deep parameters. ¯\(ツ)

We are a bit spoiled with Axe Edit. I agree that learning the front panel is an awesome idea and it is pretty solid and simple to use.
The reality is - there are a LOT of controls, and creating a perfect UI that matches the way everyone's brains work, is impossible. I think Fractal is doing a solid job with where they are at.

I'll compare to folks that praise the Quad Cortex touch screen (and I have one in front of me right now). Yes, it's easy to use...and pretty convenient...BUT it has 5% (or likely less) of the features that the Axe has. Their UI is easy, because it has VERY limited controls.
You can't have it both ways - if you want lots of options, then you have to navigate TO those options. If you want it simple....then just use the basic B-M-T controls and you'll do just fine.

As long as I can fix basic stuff on the fly, I'm very happy.
If I need to do deep editing (and I am thankful we CAN do deep editing on the Axe), then I will use Axe Edit.
We have the best of both worlds.
Ditto for Helix.

FWIW, I tried to watch the review. I gave up before he got to the point that people are making fun of him for.

IDK...I really want to like the guy. I think he's a great guitarist, and I'll never try to take that away from him...he's flat out better than me.

But, I just don't like his videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom