Rhett Shull Axe-FXIII Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yep. Sounds amazing but the UI operates as if an engineer or coder who isn’t experienced in UI designed it.

With that said (and I’ve preached for years) I can dial in a tone from the front panel more than twice as fast as I can from the editor. Once you develop the muscle memory, it’s actually very intuitive, especially with the recent updates to the front panel UI.

His whole point about option-paralysis with the deep-editing is real for many users. IMO, all deep-editing options should be able to be hidden from the user, if they so choose to, with only the authentic amp controls shown. This would allow a users to dumb-down the unit for those who want a more authentic experience.

Yep. Sounds amazing but the UI operates as if an engineer or coder who isn’t experienced in UI designed it.

With that said (and I’ve preached for years) I can dial in a tone from the front panel more than twice as fast as I can from the editor. Once you develop the muscle memory, it’s actually very intuitive, especially with the recent updates to the front panel UI.

His whole point about option-paralysis with the deep-editing is real for many users. IMO, all deep-editing options should be able to be hidden from the user, if they so choose to, with only the authentic amp controls shown. This would allow a users to dumb-down the unit for those who want a more authentic experience.

Agreed, I rolled my eyes with all the "the front panel's complicated" stuff. he said it himself, The III has the most options, so to have options you need ways of accessing them. So you have a state of the art piece of kit it's not gonna look like a toy.
I have no problem with the front panel

Hard to imagine that a majority of us don't want improvements to the UI, I know I do! Sure, he is selling presets, but it isn't like he is making the claim that it is necessary to buy presets to get great sounds- the best available for amps and effects to paraphrase him, if you watch the whole video. My only criticism is that it took him 2.5 years of using a loaner device to come back with a review. Maybe that kind of feedback 2 years ago might have guided Fractal to more focus on the UI. It wouldn't have swayed my purchases of Fractal products though :)

Given how many modern digital pedals have hidden functions and parameters that you'd never even know about unless you take a deep dive into the manual, I'd say the Fractal grid is just fine- it's all there in the menus. Don't want to mess with deep parameters? Just stay on the first menu or two.

I mean, easier is always better, but I have no experience with advanced equipment, and I had it up and running in ten minutes or so the first time... and frankly, I ain't that smart.

He's pretty fair. He was fair with the Quad Cortex review also. I have now had Helix, Quad, and the Fractal. They are all good but like the Fractal better. I was worried about all the deep settings but I just mostly ignore them. Found it quicker to get a sound I liked out of it more so then the other devices. Also, I actually feel like I don't want to buy other pedals unless they are really unique. On device Ui on the Fractal is usable but not great. Some of the things the unit does are quite complex, attaching envelope followers. The Quad touch screen was great but their actual UI for it is ok. Lots of navigating menus and lists. It'll be interesting when he gets the FM9 because the fractal foot switch implementation is miles better then the Quad Cortex, a bit better then Helix.

Meh, it's not like he's shoving it down our throats. There's probably a minute or so of it that is talking about his presets, while the rest of it is actually insightful for those looking for more info on the thing.

He also praises the stock presets.

I know, I know ... I like him and the review is okay. But, well ... selling modified factory presets? Meh.

I feel like he needed to come up with a negative in order to have a review that looks "unbiased". If the negative is that the Axe-Fx III sounds so good that he's spent his time playing guitar and not learning how to navigate the front panel, then bring it on! :)

Instead of filming himself stumbling through the front-panel, he could have spent a few minutes learning how to navigate it, as well as learning about the Performance Controls.

The scenario of deep-diving into edits prior to a gig doesn't make a lot of sense to me - you should have all of your patches ready to go when you get to the gig. At the gig, you may need to make some tweaks to overall I/O levels or global EQ, but that's all easily accessible.

I feel like he needed to come up with a negative in order to have a review that looks "unbiased". If the negative is that the Axe-Fx III sounds so good that he's spent his time playing guitar and not learning how to navigate the front panel, then bring it on! :)

Instead of filming himself stumbling through the front-panel, he could have spent a few minutes learning how to navigate it, as well as learning about the Performance Controls.

The scenario of deep-diving into edits prior to a gig doesn't make a lot of sense to me - you should have all of your patches ready to go when you get to the gig. At the gig, you may need to make some tweaks to overall I/O levels or global EQ, but that's all easily accessible.
I just said exactly the same thing in a comment on one of the Fractal FB Group pages. Absolutely no need to be deep diving on a gig. You’d think after 2.5 years, he would know his way around the front panel a bit better.

Given how many modern digital pedals have hidden functions and parameters that you'd never even know about unless you take a deep dive into the manual, I'd say the Fractal grid is just fine- it's all there in the menus. Don't want to mess with deep parameters? Just stay on the first menu or two.

I mean, easier is always better, but I have no experience with advanced equipment, and I had it up and running in ten minutes or so the first time... and frankly, I ain't that smart.
UI complexity is an issue for me on stage and when I record in other people's studios. Basically for stage I have to program everything in advance and rarely use the front panel except for very simple operations. Even 15 seconds between songs isn't a luxury I always have! When I am someone else's studio and using my AXE, and the studio clock $$ is going, I need my laptop connected to make quick changes.

But, well ... selling modified factory presets? Meh.

Yeah, I thought that was pretty weak. And the sales pitch isn't good: "Buy presets from a guy that can't navigate the unit and doesn't know what the advanced parameters are." (Said more for the comedy aspect of it than a cut at him).

That said, I do enjoy Rhett's content and think he generally does a great job - was just disappointed in a few things with this particular analysis.

UI complexity is an issue for me on stage and when I record in other people's studios. Basically for stage I have to program everything in advance and rarely use the front panel except for very simple operations. Even 15 seconds between songs isn't a luxury I always have! When I am someone else's studio and using my AXE, and the studio clock $$ is going, I need my laptop connected to make quick changes.
Making edits on-stage between songs would be...a terrible process. Plus, no one wants to see you fiddling with a device on stage (unless that's your gimmick). I'd expect for a studio gig where you needed to adjust sounds quickly, using Axe-Edit would be a must.

I wouldn't expect otherwise from a rack unit device. I think the front panel UI is really fantastic for its size - but you are limited by the reality of the box in what you can do with a 19" rack space and a 4" screen.

Making edits on-stage between songs would be...a terrible process. Plus, no one wants to see you fiddling with a device on stage (unless that's your gimmick). I'd expect for a studio gig where you needed to adjust sounds quickly, using Axe-Edit would be a must.

I wouldn't expect otherwise from a rack unit device. I think the front panel UI is really fantastic for its size - but you are limited by the reality of the box in what you can do with a 19" rack space and a 4" screen.
Same issue with my FM3, which is what I gig and bring to other people's recording sessions when i'm asked. Not complaining, and it is what I expected when I bought the unit, but it is a fair thing to point out in a review.

Same issue with my FM3, which is what I gig and bring to other people's recording sessions when i'm asked. Not complaining, and it is what I expected when I bought the unit, but it is a fair thing to point out in a review.
I agree. But perhaps some of those shortcomings are due to the platform itself rather than the implementation in the product. I can't slag a rack unit for not having footswitches for instance. I wouldn't expect it to - it's not the device for that use. I don't expect a 4" screen to have a better editing experience than my computer monitor. If front panel editing were easier than using Axe-Edit, then that would point to major shortcomings in Axe-Edit I think. :openmouth:

But if these are the main problems, that's a pretty good review. To his point, there is always room for improvement.

A review with the purpose of selling his own presets. ;-)

Truth!

I know this may be perceived as negative, but he "tweaked" some stock presets
and releases his "review" the same time he has Fractal preset packs for sale. Oh
boy! Just a coincidence. Call me skeptical, and rather unimpressed.

Think of the folks around here who have invested their own money, don't receive
any gear for free (or on loan), and learn how to navigate it because they love it and
use it. Don't you think their insight and experience is more valid than someone like
Rhett who HAS TO generate content for his YT Channel because that is his career
path and means of earning income? He admits to not knowing it that well and it
shows.

I just think it is crazy that we live in a world where your views can be validated simply by
having a large following on YT, and not based on your actual experience and usage rate
with any specific piece of gear.

Not hating. Just saying. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom