Rhetorical Question About the Avengers

Since we've been isolating ourselves I've found time to catch up on some of the blockbuster movies that have come out over the last 5-10 years. Today I watched the first Avengers movie. I have some questions:

1. Why did they need a flying aircraft carrier? What can a flying aircraft carrier do that a regular aircraft carrier and maybe some reconnaissance planes or a few satellites can't do, aside from burning copious amounts of fuel holding a a billion ton object aloft and being incredibly dangerous?
A mobile base solves the fuel problem of projecting power ashore. In 2001, a Super Hornet launching to go do on-call CAS in Afghan would fly four hours just to get to the stack and tank aloft a half dozen times. This OPTEMPO is hell on aircraft and hell on aircrews flying 8-9 hour missions. Go to an air museum and sit in one of those cockpits. Not awesome. Not ideal. Also, force protection is a non issue. No worrying about getting an airfield overrun, no constant IDF, no bunker runs. The idea was used in Area-88, except the carrier tunneled underground and popped out to do surprise attacks.
2. When they first raise the flying aircraft carrier out of the water why don't the people standing right next to the turbines get sucked in? Surely the amount of vacuum required to lift a billion ton object would suck in any objects in the near vicinity.
Yeah the whole fan thing is a nonstarter.
3. Why does the guy who plays Capt. America walk around like he has a stick up his butt? Is it a side-effect of the chemical enhancement?
This is why I’m not crazy about comic book movies. They’re actually not good movies. I suppose it makes cap seem even more anachronistic.
4. Is Jeremy Renner the worst actor in the world or does that distinction still go to Norman Fell and/or Pauly Shore?
No wheezing the ju-uuuuuice! At least Pauly did something interesting. Amy Adams totally carried Renner in Arrival.
5. Why do the laws of physics not apply inside Iron Man's suit? Just because he's wearing a suit doesn't mean that hitting the ground at 200 mph shouldn't cause massive internal injuries and brain trauma due to the g-forces.
Again, these movies aren’t actually good.
In line responses.

I typically check my brain at the door for most Sci Fi/Fantasy tv and movies, they're more enjoyable that way. Even the "hard" Science Fiction movies like The Martian, Gravity, etc. get things wrong. I love hearing Neil DeGrasse Tyson analyze the errors.
Lol yeah Neil ruins everything. I love it.

4. Is Jeremy Renner the worst actor in the world or does that distinction still go to Norman Fell and/or Pauly Shore?

How dare you slag the artistic genius that was Norman Fell ?

OIP.B8DvJxprsKp9j-vM76abFQHaD4

The best of these films for me was the Winter Soldier, a tad more grounded and a decent story in there, but the best of these sc-fi superhero films for me is still the Dredd film with Karl Urban from a few years back

Since we've been isolating ourselves I've found time to catch up on some of the blockbuster movies that have come out over the last 5-10 years. Today I watched the first Avengers movie. I have some questions:

1. Why did they need a flying aircraft carrier? What can a flying aircraft carrier do that a regular aircraft carrier and maybe some reconnaissance planes or a few satellites can't do, aside from burning copious amounts of fuel holding a a billion ton object aloft and being incredibly dangerous?

2. When they first raise the flying aircraft carrier out of the water why don't the people standing right next to the turbines get sucked in? Surely the amount of vacuum required to lift a billion ton object would suck in any objects in the near vicinity.

3. Why does the guy who plays Capt. America walk around like he has a stick up his butt? Is it a side-effect of the chemical enhancement?

5. Why do the laws of physics not apply inside Iron Man's suit? Just because he's wearing a suit doesn't mean that hitting the ground at 200 mph shouldn't cause massive internal injuries and brain trauma due to the g-forces.

Unfortunately the man that could accurately answer that has passed away.

• Sad
Reactions: jon
I was always more impressed by the Green Goblin's (Spider Man) Jet Cycle...and at least one guy on this planet has a real one and it goes 103.4 mph:

What bothers me the most is when characters remove their protective face masks in the heat of battle to deliver lines.
What’s really dumb is sci-fi putting lights inside helmets so we can see characters faces. Nevermind the fact that this is the worst possible thing for visibility and will do nothing but get you killed. The Abyss, Battlestar Galactica, I’m looking at you.

Captain A running on his tip toes during every important scene drives me crazy.

One thing I completely struggle with (and there is likely a logical explanation) is how Capt. A going back in time to put the stones back in place, but then staying in 19XX to have a life and marry Agent Peggy....why did that not f*ck up the future??
Peggy was a founder of SHIELD, and had a big part in creating that organization - so did she do all that while being married to Capt A. (and he's back at home...like a stay at home dad)?
It's a stupid thing to get stuck on, but my brain can't get past why that was injected in the last few minutes of the movie.

I am bummed that Iron Man is dead - I love how witty and arrogant Tony is in these movies.

Forget all those science problems. Can they just stop using a dial tone sound when someone hangs up the phone? Ruins the movie for me every time. That’s not how phones work, double if we’re talking cell phones.

Forget all those science problems. Can they just stop using a dial tone sound when someone hangs up the phone? Ruins the movie for me every time. That’s not how phones work, double if we’re talking cell phones.
At least in cop shows nobody still says "synchronize your watches."

I know this is kind of off topic here, but I don't get why none of the Batman movies that have come out have comic balloon sound effects. Batman isn't Batman without seeing Pow! and Bam! and things like that in the fight scenes.

Captain A running on his tip toes during every important scene drives me crazy.

One thing I completely struggle with (and there is likely a logical explanation) is how Capt. A going back in time to put the stones back in place, but then staying in 19XX to have a life and marry Agent Peggy....why did that not f*ck up the future??
Peggy was a founder of SHIELD, and had a big part in creating that organization - so did she do all that while being married to Capt A. (and he's back at home...like a stay at home dad)?
It's a stupid thing to get stuck on, but my brain can't get past why that was injected in the last few minutes of the movie.

I am bummed that Iron Man is dead - I love how witty and arrogant Tony is in these movies.

There would have been 2 captain Americas in this new timeline (confirmed by Marvel), and I guess the time travelling one just kinda laid low and became a family man and grew old, whilst the other would have gone on with the other timeline as usual

Back
Top Bottom