Rhetorical Question About the Avengers

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Since we've been isolating ourselves I've found time to catch up on some of the blockbuster movies that have come out over the last 5-10 years. Today I watched the first Avengers movie. I have some questions:

1. Why did they need a flying aircraft carrier? What can a flying aircraft carrier do that a regular aircraft carrier and maybe some reconnaissance planes or a few satellites can't do, aside from burning copious amounts of fuel holding a a billion ton object aloft and being incredibly dangerous?

2. When they first raise the flying aircraft carrier out of the water why don't the people standing right next to the turbines get sucked in? Surely the amount of vacuum required to lift a billion ton object would suck in any objects in the near vicinity.

3. Why does the guy who plays Capt. America walk around like he has a stick up his butt? Is it a side-effect of the chemical enhancement?

4. Is Jeremy Renner the worst actor in the world or does that distinction still go to Norman Fell and/or Pauly Shore?

5. Why do the laws of physics not apply inside Iron Man's suit? Just because he's wearing a suit doesn't mean that hitting the ground at 200 mph shouldn't cause massive internal injuries and brain trauma due to the g-forces.

Since we've been isolating ourselves I've found time to catch up on some of the blockbuster movies that have come out over the last 5-10 years. Today I watched the first Avengers movie. I have some questions:

1. Why did they need a flying aircraft carrier? What can a flying aircraft carrier do that a regular aircraft carrier and maybe some reconnaissance planes or a few satellites can't do, aside from burning copious amounts of fuel holding a a billion ton object aloft and being incredibly dangerous?

2. When they first raise the flying aircraft carrier out of the water why don't the people standing right next to the turbines get sucked in? Surely the amount of vacuum required to lift a billion ton object would suck in any objects in the near vicinity.

3. Why does the guy who plays Capt. America walk around like he has a stick up his butt? Is it a side-effect of the chemical enhancement?

4. Is Jeremy Renner the worst actor in the world or does that distinction still go to Norman Fell and/or Pauly Shore?

5. Why do the laws of physics not apply inside Iron Man's suit? Just because he's wearing a suit doesn't mean that hitting the ground at 200 mph shouldn't cause massive internal injuries and brain trauma due to the g-forces.

So I’m going to answer all of those questions in one simple phrase. It’s in the script because it makes people want to watch it. :) Truth and reality have nothing to do with Hollywood. :(

Do a search for "suspension of disbelief".

Read it, accept it, enjoy movies. :)

You have to turn off your brain - otherwise, as a smart person you will find yourself distracted by bad science, implausible plot, etc, etc.

Remember, you're watching for entertainment not education.

One thing I wondered is why, when falling from great heights, the superheroes insist on landing on their knee. To me that sounds like a quick way to break a femur, and not a particularly smart way to land.

1. to show off their advanced super tech
2. ufo technology
3. just wait until you see his future self look at his past self's butt and brag on how nice it looks
4. yes
5.I haven't read comic books since jr. high but I've heard Iron man has super healing powers be cause he injected himself with nano-tech that repairs his body, although that isn't implied in the movies afaik?

the last two, infinity war and endgame are pretty awesome

1. Because it looks awesome.
2. Because it looks awesome. Also for the same reason that if the flame doesn't touch you, it doesn't hurt you.
3. Because it looks Because Cap does have a (metaphorical) stick up his butt. Also see NeoSound's answer.
4. Weakest character in the series, I can't comment on his acting since I've only ever seen him in that role.
5. Because it looks awesome.

We are allowed, nay encouraged to turn our brains off for maximum pleasure during these movies. They are pretty solid escapist entertainment.

But please do turn it back on when done! :sunglasses:

Do a search for "suspension of disbelief".

Read it, accept it, enjoy movies. :)

You have to turn off your brain - otherwise, as a smart person you will find yourself distracted by bad science, implausible plot, etc, etc.

Remember, you're watching for entertainment not education.
Unix wisdom is so often articulated with the greatest of economical motion and succinctness that there’s not a lot left for others to say

I'd like to say the questions subside as answers are provided as you move through the series, but it's the opposite. We re-watched inifity war last night and I had so many more questions than I did the first time through.

Well I guess the answer to all of the questions, and any questions that may pop up, as you embark on this spiritual experience of watching MCU, a spell binding saga of nonsense, a tome of extraordinarily silly heroics and a veritable cornucopia of dialogues and acting capable of hurting each and everyone of your brain cell.....is “just because”

I typically check my brain at the door for most Sci Fi/Fantasy tv and movies, they're more enjoyable that way. Even the "hard" Science Fiction movies like The Martian, Gravity, etc. get things wrong. I love hearing Neil DeGrasse Tyson analyze the errors.

A lot of the MCU is based on canon from the original comic book sources, including that seemingly unwieldy Helocarrier, where suspension of disbelief is essential to fully enjoy, and as someone who as an adolescent read and collected theoriginal Marvel comix as they were released many many years ago, I find these movies endlessly enjoyable.,
And of course, , the three-point superhero Landing maneuver has become a not -so -inside joke amongst fans and filmmakers....

Last edited:
6. Why people smashing concrete, iron and mountains with bare hands needs concrete, iron or mountains as weapon? Or even think it could harm other people that smash concrete, iron and mountain? Like Hulk... :sweatsmile:

2. In futurama they explain something similar. It's the entire Earth and space that is moving, the aircraft is motionless. The engine is shifting the universe. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom