RHCP UNPLUGGED at halftime show

I'm really surprised that the halftime show doesn't go to the highest bidder! The ultimate pay to play.

Try calling your local professional sports team and express an interest in performing the national anthem. They monetized that opportunity a long time ago.

Last edited:
Well, here's how it would go with me:

NFL: Your music has influenced the world. We'd love to have you do the superbowl.
Me: Awesome!
NFL: One thing though. You can't plug in.
Me: F#@#$ OFF.
NFL: But think of your sales boost after the performance!
Me: F@#@ OFF.

See, there's always a choice.

well of course.

it is called the Entertainment Industry, so of course there are compromises. turn down thousands of dollars to not mime a song i pre-recorded for 3 minutes or less? i don't know...

Sounds like everyone defending the RHCP and the NFL's performance policies is secretly waiting for their chance to WHORE out. Good luck with that.
Kind of like living to hit the lottery...

Well, here's how it would go with me:

NFL: Your music has influenced the world. We'd love to have you do the superbowl.
Me: Awesome!
NFL: One thing though. You can't plug in.
Me: F#@#$ OFF.
NFL: But think of your sales boost after the performance!
Me: F@#@ OFF.
Do you think that musicians willing to make those types of sacrifices would attain the commercial success to be a potential Super Bowl entertainer?

Sounds like everyone defending the RHCP and the NFL's performance policies is secretly waiting for their chance to WHORE out. Good luck with that.
Kind of like living to hit the lottery...

i don't think that means anyone is waiting.

if you don't play music to make money or you think you shouldn't get money for playing and/or creating music, then you would never understand it i'm guessing.

so let's just say every major band asked to play superbowl basically said no to the sync thing, and every single one demanded that it had to be fully live performance.

then super bowl said, ok no music. or they just trickle down until someone would agree to do it. i mean at some point, someone is going to be ok with it. it's the NFL's show, their decision. they are providing the stage and opportunity. if you don't want to do it, fine. but someone else will.

i think having the guitars unplugged fully shows this realization, letting it be proven that they weren't playing live.

again, there's the pure music side of music (of course) and then there's the entertainment side. i like watching live bands here, but many bands and players are NOT entertainers. they are staring at their fretboard the whole gig, not moving at all. i can do that. many people can do that. when you want to watch entertainment, they are moving around, engaging the audience, showing emotion.

that's what the general audience and also more knowledgable musicians want to see - emotion. great, you nailed that 64th note lick. but you stood there all gig long and i'm bored. but this guy bent a note up and held on for dear life with passion and emotion in his body and the whole crowd went wild, secretly wishing it was themselves on that stage.

superbowl halftime show is for showing emotion, excitement. keeping the energy up. if the producers who own that performance and stage space want the "music"/"technical" part taken out so the performers can focus on the emotion part, then that's what they want. i love how Flea likened it to a music video.

you know how many people on the internet complain that bands aren't playing live when they record music videos?! a ton!

turn down thousands of dollars to not mime a song i pre-recorded for 3 minutes or less? i don't know...

I don't have any issue with mime-ing per se but I do have a huge issue with deception. The majority of the audience (I think anyway) believed that they were playing live and I think that's wrong. There's no need to do that when they could have easily played. Of course the band would have if they had the chance but weren't allowed to by the powers that be. That sets the wrong precedence. I'm not a big RHCP fan but I was always impressed by what Flea did on bass in the band. I would love to see them live but definitely not like this.

i think having the guitars unplugged fully shows this realization, letting it be proven that they weren't playing live.

It was good that Flea didn't have a wire plugged in and I'm sure that was part of his coming to terms with it but man, he must have mellowed out completely b/c I'd fully expect him to agree to the performance but then totally trash is guitar at the beginning of the 'performance' and then hold up his hands in protest. The dude is known for his bass chops! But then again, I do understand he's equally known for bouncing around the stage shirtless.

Think about it this way. What if the superbowl was actually played on a private field last week with the same outcome and they just re-enacted it for the 'big show'. As a football fan, I would not be happy about this fake event.

Bruno sang and did it for free. I like that. In return his sales are going skyrocket so good for him.
RHCP kinda went halfway so it's not as bad as I make it sound but it's still upsetting.

Last edited:
i don't think that means anyone is waiting.

if you don't play music to make money or you think you shouldn't get money for playing and/or creating music, then you would never understand it i'm guessing.

so let's just say every major band asked to play superbowl basically said no to the sync thing, and every single one demanded that it had to be fully live performance.

then super bowl said, ok no music. or they just trickle down until someone would agree to do it. i mean at some point, someone is going to be ok with it. it's the NFL's show, their decision. they are providing the stage and opportunity. if you don't want to do it, fine. but someone else will.

again, there's the pure music side of music (of course) and then there's the entertainment side. i like watching live bands here, but many bands and players are NOT entertainers. they are staring at their fretboard the whole gig, not moving at all. i can do that. many people can do that. when you want to watch entertainment, they are moving around, engaging the audience, showing emotion.

that's what the general audience and also more knowledgable musicians want to see - emotion. great, you nailed that 64th note lick. but you stood there all gig long and i'm bored. but this guy bent a note up and held on for dear life with passion and emotion in his body and the whole crowd went wild, secretly wishing it was themselves on that stage.

superbowl halftime show is for showing emotion, excitement. keeping the energy up. if the producers who own that performance and stage space want the "music"/"technical" part taken out so the performers can focus on the emotion part, then that's what they want. i love how Flea likened it to a music video.

you know how many people on the internet complain that bands aren't playing live when they record music videos?! a ton!

^pure insanity.
Also, I'm not going to list my musical past/present in a vain attempt to convince you I care about the music industry or make money from it, etc etc...
Your argument is choosing the lesser of two evils.
Im saying neither one of those is a viable option for a sustainable industry or career. It leads to mediocrity by the boat load and flushes talented artist out the port side.
If YOU cant see that, then I'm guessing, um, *insert smart ass remark of your choice*.
Im out.

I wonder if they even bothered to tune up before the performance? Now that would be selling out, unplugged body shake sync with out of tune instruments.

I'm going to say this because I'm tired of the utter bullshit. If you accept the music industry as a machine to make money. I do not care what you have to say or do. If you are interested in creating interesting and new music then do it, and never compromise it, no matter what stupid "carrot" of opportunity is dangled in front of you. Stop making excuses. If you want to do whatever it takes to "make it" then be honest and say it, don't pretend to be an artist, because you aren't.

I'm going to say this because I'm tired of the utter bullshit. If you accept the music industry as a machine to make money. I do not care what you have to say or do. If you are interested in creating interesting and new music then do it, and never compromise it, no matter what stupid "carrot" of opportunity is dangled in front of you. Stop making excuses. If you want to do whatever it takes to "make it" then be honest and say it, don't pretend to be an artist, because you aren't.

Absolutely.

Probably what James Douglas Morrison said right before he went on the Ed Sullivan Show and sang Light My Fire, with the original lyrics.

^pure insanity.
Also, I'm not going to list my musical past/present in a vain attempt to convince you I care about the music industry or make money from it, etc etc...
Im saying neither one of those is a viable option for a sustainable industry or career. It leads to mediocrity by the boat load and flushes talented artist out the port side.
If YOU cant see that, then I'm guessing, um, *insert smart ass remark of your choice*.
Im out.

I personally couldn't agree more. As home "studio's" become the norm and technologies develop (Axe Fx comes to mind) tired record companies fall by the waste side. Same with film... people are now posting phenomenon videos/movies of their music that was not possible a few years ago. The quicker we all realize the future that's in front of us, the faster the old music industry becomes obsolete. Usher in a new era!!!! Never before could you record an album without their direct influence... Now it seems stupid to do so. Take advantage of technology and enjoy it like others before us could not!

^pure insanity.
Im out.

Meh nothing I said was specifically about you dude.

And I was speaking from the standpoint of the RHCP.

Again, I'm just saying that people who think you shouldn't play music FOR money might not agree or understand why someone would play this show and mine it for money (or stardom, etc.) that is not an insult in any way, it's a statement of fact...

Back
Top Bottom