Rework and ideas to max out Axe-Fx II w/ scenes + MFC-101 + 4ext. switches

Morphosis

Official G66 Support
Because of the awesome power, scenes give (me) i decided to add 4 external switches to the MFC for dedicated and direct scenes-switching, which frees 4 Axe-Fx IAs on my MFC. I reworked my Master template in the Axe-Fx and reworked my MFC layout. Thought i share it with you guys, cause erhaps anybody get new ideas for himself to manage his Rig better or easier or bigger or .... as you like ;)

Also i have to say that i was one of the persons who don`t like the idea of the SCENES REVERT OFF Paradigm, Cliff told before FW9 came out. Me and others have stated much more prefering whats called later the REVERT ON PARADIGM. But what should i say? I`m thankful, that Mr. Cliff implement both possibilities and you know what?! I ONLY USE SCENES REVERT OFF, it`s THAT powerful: I can programm Scenes comfortable and remotely with the MFC before hitting the SAVE button on the Axe-Fx II. But what`s most powerful:

You can program your "looper switcher" "on the fly" for every scenes, you want use. So, you can "click" YOUR Preset with some footsteps on the MFC "together" and you`re ready for the next song with different "presets" .. ähh "scenes" .. ok, let`s call it "sounds" ...you need.

That said, the target was this:
- As much different sound constellations, fully programmable by feet "on the fly" with ONE BIG MASTE RPRESET - so i am ready for everything what can come or asked for.

I`ve done this:
4 external switches are programmed to select scenes 1 to 4 directly. In these four scenes only the Amp Block`s 1 OR 2 and X or Y (i use both) and CAB X/Y are pre-defined. So in fact, the scenes are (beside the flexible looper funcionality) AMP Channel selectors. All the rest of the FX Blocks are switchable as Axe-Fx Mode MFC switches, because only this way the IAs will get re-information of their states when scenes will be changed and only this way, you can "click" your preset "on the fly" together by total recall when re-select the scene!

So here`s what I´ve done:
MFC-101_SCENES_clear.jpg

Expand -> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47593922/MFC-101_SCENES_clear.jpg

Notes:
MODULATION-BLOCKS:
- IA14: Axe-Fx IA Chorus X/Y -> CC104. Because i programmed in the I/O ->CTRL menu PHA1 X/Y and FLA1 X/Y also on CC104, these blocks will change their X/Y stat also, as long a Chorus1 Block is in the preset!
- Phaser / Flanger / Chorus are linked group 1 in the MFC - for me it does not make sense to have two modulation blocks ON the same time.

-> In fact i can now select 6 Modulation Effects with 3 FX Blocks and 4 IA switches (CHO X, CHO Y, PHA X, PHA Y, FLA X; FLA Y)

DELAY BLOCK:
- 1 Block (plus a dedicated Level (filter block) switch for two Delay Levels) - 4 Sounds:
- DLY X + FILTER Bypass (gentle delay, 1/4 time)
- DLY X + FILTER engaged (loud delay, 1/4 time)
- DLY Y + FILTER Bypass (gentle delay, 1/8 dot time)
- DLY Y + FILTER engaged (gentle delay, 1/8 dot time)

FILTER1 = 4db boost for solo

Template in the Axe looks like that:
Master_Template_V_4ext.JPG

expand -> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47593922/Master_Template_V_4ext.JPG

Now you get the trick .... yes?

Notes:
DRIVE / PEQ BLOCKS:
- similiar to the Modulation X/Y switch work IA7 (Axe-Fx IA PEQ1): All PEQs 1,2,3,4 + Drive Block`s bypass #CC is programed to #CC71. So, as long a PEQ1 is in the preset, all those blocks will bypass/engage simultaneously by hitting this IA switch.
- The PEQs before the Amp is to boost (by level higher 0db) the Amp, soundvoicings can be done using FilterCurve
- The PEQs behind the Amp is to re-calibrate the over-all level to get same level of the for example clean amp and the boosted clean amp (which will be normally much louder because of less "gain"-compression in the amp block)
- If i will use a DRIVE Block in another Preset, i can also select the Drive with IA7, because i also will have still the PEQ1 Block behind the Amp Block, and because Drive 1 & PEQ1 have the same #CC71 Number the drive will also engaged when the PEQ1 will do by hitting the IA7 Switch ;) So, you get the trick?!

AMP blocks routing:
- Amp Blocks are set to bypass = MUTE. so, in fact the whole splitted routing will be canceled -> only one routing is always active, becaus just ONE Amp block is always engaged:

External Switch 1 = SCENE1 = AMP1 X (AMP2 = BYPASS MUTE OUT)
External Switch 2 = SCENE2 = AMP1 Y (AMP2 = BYPASS MUTE OUT)
External Switch 3 = SCENE3 = AMP2 X (AMP1 = BYPASS MUTE OUT)
External Switch 4 = SCENE4 = AMP2 Y (AMP1 = BYPASS MUTE OUT)

- ROOM EQ to maximize FRFR Paradigm for my FRFR Monitor:
Instead of Copy OUT1 -> OUT2 (which will be the easiest way to get monitor signal independent from FOH) i have to use the FX LOOP way, because I`ve made a room EQ with IK Multimedia ARC2 System and capture the correction result into the TMA block (using sine-sweep from synth-block, blabla ... ). The Monitor sounds THAT much better now! I highly recommend to do that! Because the Monitor is MONO and i will prevent from phase cancelation issues, i have also put a Volume Block in Front of the TMA block to select only INPUT LEFT, while the TMA block himself just sum L+R ....

(I would like to see Input Selector in the TMA block Cliff ;) )

As result i can now:

- select from 4 Amps (4 Amp Channel paradigm) and combine this with 18 different effects (using up to 11 on the same time) + Wahwah (autoengage when hitting the pedal) + Volumepedal (beetween Amp output and Delay/Reverb input: So: No Gain change from different input volumes into the amp block, but also no Delay / Reverb cutting, when bring pedal to No volume output).

And the best: As i say at the begining: I can click "on the fly" up to 4 "presets" together and select them.

Can anybody do this with an analog Switcher or Midi Looper System? NO - he has to program that ... we can do it "on the fly" ... is that cool? IT IS DA BOMB!!!!!

So, playin` a whole 35 songs gig with just ONE Preset AND w/o "tapdance" during the songs but nevertheless a whole bunch of great and totally different sounds and at once totally fully manually control about every single effect status? NO PROBLEM MAN! WOOOOOOOOW, it must be an AXE-FX II & MFC-101, right?!

No more "hundred of presets jungle", volume issues and all that stuff .... i like it "SIMPLE", but with full power and the flexibility the Axe can give me. No, i have that! In ONE Preset ;)

By the way .... did you have seen still the LOOPER Block in the template? ;) Just sayin .... ;) One hit on REVEAL and it`s ready to go .... oh yiiihaaaaa ;)

THANK YOU CLIFF & WHOLE FRACTAL TEAM!

Last edited:
WOW! I like the way you think!

I just posted a question asking whether this layout is possible....and here it is! Thanks!

Thanks for taking the time to post this ... very useful .... do you have any pics of your 4 external switches and/or a link for where you got them ... are they in a unit or separate ... noticed Yek also has 4 external switches in a nice compact enclosure but I couldn't locate anything quite like that on line ...

This all makes sense except for the Send and Return blocks being in a position where they have to be connected to their respective in/outputs.
Have you used this setup yet? Does not compute Will Robinson.

AxeEdit and scenes have not worked simultaneously....yet. If I had to guess, I'd say he only used AxeEdit to create the drawing for his post.

This all makes sense except for the Send and Return blocks being in a position where they have to be connected to their respective in/outputs.
Have you used this setup yet? Does not compute Will Robinson.

With SND output level at 0% and RTN mix at 100% it works fine; the automatic connections don't result in any unwanted signal flow.

I like to see someone fully exploiting the power and versatility of the Axe and MFC-101. Thanks for posting this, I am sure I will be inspired to adapt (read that "steal") many of your ideas for my own rig.

First, thanks for the kind words! Thanks!

... are they in a unit or separate ... noticed Yek also has 4 external switches in a nice compact enclosure but I couldn't locate anything quite like that on line ...
They are 2 seperate "Do it yourself" switches. Technically the same like YEK`s, but in two boxes, instead of one. I have to make some photos, when i revisit the rehearsal room ... ;)

With SND output level at 0% and RTN mix at 100% it works fine; the automatic connections don't result in any unwanted signal flow.
That`s the way to go. The wire-connections are made automatically for the first and last blocks ... visually not perfect, but i needed the space ...

AxeEdit and scenes have not worked simultaneously....yet. If I had to guess, I'd say he only used AxeEdit to create the drawing for his post.
Corrrect. Original was build by hand on the axe directly.

I like to see someone fully exploiting the power and versatility of the Axe and MFC-101. Thanks for posting this, I am sure I will be inspired to adapt (read that "steal") many of your ideas for my own rig.

... hehe .... you can`t "steal", what i have "shared" :D That`s the reason i post it! sharing ideas and looking for new ones ... that`s whats this community is made for, no? ;)

Interesting approach.
I'm not using scenes yet as I'm still on 7…
From what I understand single switch can control 2 scenes like ON = scene 1, OFF = scene 2, correct ?
If you use only 4 scenes, you could do it with 2 switches, am I wright ?

This is fantastic! I'm totally going to steal that link idea with flanger, phaser and chorus!

This is really using what is at your disposal. I'm really trying to flesh out how mine gets set up. I'm building a four banger switch box as well and honestly thinking of using scenes the way you are.

I'd essentially build a "scene" using one amp and give it the channels I'd use and go from there. Fender mood, jtm45 mood, bogner mood, HBE mood, its all covered AND I have my "pedal board" in Tact with my looper ready to roll.

Amazing mate.

I was trying the linked group idea a while ago.
But it doesn't work with scenes, must be a bug but it's not officially confirmed.
It's a bummer cuz it's a button saver =)

Back
Top Bottom