Revisiting the Past: Bang Bang Clean Tones

iaresee

Administrator
@fuzzydude messaged me on the weekend to ask if I still had the preset for Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) from some time ago. I looked...and...whoa! That was a preset I did for my old Standard!

I'm certain that one is now lost to time. But no fear! That's a clean tone that really not too hard to dial up these days in the III.

Sat down for a bit tonight and here's a first pass: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=8427

Quick clip:

The original had, apparently, a Vox tremolo on it which had both a tremolo and an honest to god vibrato circuit in it you could mix or pick from. I still think there's a little vibrato on the recording. I can't figure that bit out though in the III. All my attempts to make a chorus block a vibrato block sound complete wrong.

But for pure cleans with a tremolo it's feeling really slinky good now. The key here is to use a saw up pattern for that tremolo IMHO.

For authentic Bang Bang goodness you want a darker guitar. I dialed it in with my Silver Sky and then just rolled the treble back to about 6-7 on the middle pickup and it was working great.

Aside: I really need to update the lighting in this new room. Hum like crazy on the single coil guitar when the overhead is on -- there's a dimmer switch so I'll blame that. I'm going to have to set up some indirect lighting to use so I can keep that overhead off I guess.

Last edited:
Update, now with a quick clip (and I accidentally deleted the screen shot...oh well).

Back
Top Bottom