Wish Revised Recto 4x12 speaker impedance curve names

deathbyguitar

Power User
I feel like the current Recto 4x12 speaker impedance names are confusing. 4x12 Recto Large for example - Is that the Standard angled oversized? If so, what's the 4x12 Recto Slant? 4x12 Recto Small is probably the Traditional but which one? I think the impedance curve names should be closer to the product names Mesa has on their website, assuming there wouldn't be any trademark/branding issues.

Also, while we're talking about impedance curves, are the settings for Recto 4x12 Straight correct? It honestly sounds pretty bizarre and has a way different low frequency than the rest of them. Of course I'm not an expert in this area but I just figured I'd ask if it was actually supposed to be like that.

Hope this isn't too nitpicky. Thanks for all that you guys do.

I like getting infos too about the stuff I use because I'm inquisitive.
But I use the curve that fits to my amp/cab combination judging by ear, independent what the curve should be.
Most times ending with Recto large.

Because large is better every time 😉

I like this idea, but if memory serves I am not sure is Cliff knows exactly which model some of these were taken from. I remember reading a thread ages ago where Cliff speculated but there was an issue with limited notes or something and not all the information is to hand.

For sure! I have the traditional Mesa straight 4x12 cab so was looking to send the signal/response that it would be looking for naturally. I’ll try the nail file test to identify the RF. This is all new to me. Love my FM9 so far!

I was trying the Recto cabs last night and liked the large the best. The Straight has been reworked on the new FW?
I think it's actually been reworked for a while and I forgot to come back and mention this. I think it might have been reworked when they introduced Dynacabs. The old SIC had a comically large base hump that went off the chart. The newer one is much more restrained.

I thought the OwnHammer RECT Essentials pack sounded like crap when I bought it but last night I decided to try Recto straight and it sounds crazy good. And my usual York Mesa OS V2 pack sounds twice as good with it. Justin told me today that the cab itself was straight so I had to see if it sounded better with the new curve. It really, really does.

Now if we can just figure out what the heck all these names are supposed to mean as per the OP.

Back
Top Bottom