REVISED - Cliff's Factory Preset Bank A - Axe-Fx II - Quantum 8.01

It happens to everyone. A simple test: on the grid move the focus to the Amp block. Then click Edit. This causes a small gap in the audio. And it will seem as if the sound has changed. It hasn't.
I definitely believe this is possible. The brain can play tricks on you and fill things in that are not there . I notice when I mix a song the more I listen to the mix the better it sounds ..

I definitely believe this is possible. The brain can play tricks on you and fill things in that are not there . I notice when I mix a song the more I listen to the mix the better it sounds ..
The effect of change to your ears is real, however the actual sound doesn't change. I had this same scenario around a year ago with the proximity in the cab block. with no mic selected I swore I heard a substantial change. Everyone including cliff wanted a comparison graph which I couldn't produce, then quite to my astonishment, when I went back later and compared proximity on 0 to 10 I could no longer even hear the difference! No more sucking eggs for me:rolleyes:

I mentioned this before in another thread, but it also applies here. Candid Camera (old TV show) did a blind taste test where people were asked to taste two colas, and pick which one they liked best. Everybody had an opinion about which one was better. The gag, unknown to the people, was that both cola choices were from the same can. :tonguewink:

I'm the opposite, more I listen the "worse" it sounds. First time I hear something, or see a photo etc, I think its awesome, then after going back a few times, the wow factor usually wears off

I'm the opposite, more I listen the "worse" it sounds. First time I hear something, or see a photo etc, I think its awesome, then after going back a few times, the wow factor usually wears off
Another good one for me. I play in front of my rig and don't like the tone. You come in, grab my guitar and start playing, with the same preset, and I'm like wow that sounds awesome. So I stopped worrying.
Back to the thread, I installed this latest firmware and immediately noticed a difference for the better. My 4 x 12 sounds great as does my 2 x 12. I haven't installed the updated Bank A yet.

Did a firmware upgrade, system reset, and loaded this. I haven't been playing a lot recently, but after loading this particular bank - I'm not sure what much has changed? More of a maintenance/cleanup update, perhaps? :)

Did a firmware upgrade, system reset, and loaded this. I haven't been playing a lot recently, but after loading this particular bank - I'm not sure what much has changed? More of a maintenance/cleanup update, perhaps? :)
More of a refinement. Presets don't really need cleanup or maintenance.

Oh, and a few new ones, too.

Are updates to Banks B and C still being planned? Keep checking for them but maybe I was mistaken about them being updated. Anyone know?

Are updates to Banks B and C still being planned? Keep checking for them but maybe I was mistaken about them being updated. Anyone know?
I just came to get the same question answered as you. Where oh where can banks B and C B? No wait, C and B B? Oh never mind.

Would it be suspecting the unprecedented to imagine that Cliff has made ANOTHER MAJOR and SIGNIFICANT discovery, and the preset updates are on hold?

Last edited:
For me, a lot of these presets are working out way better than most of the commercial ones. I'm not ashamed to say that a lot of my go to presets are actually Cliff creations with some minor tweaking, if any. Could be a matter of taste, but most presets really stand their ground in a Multi track mix situation. Made my life as a studiocat so much easier, you get hired, producer/artist wants a Soldano, Plexi, Eddie or whatever sound, I dial up the appropriate preset, fiddle the knobs a little, set gain to a sensible amount and we're good to go!

I think it's just tweaking the parameters that have since changed (ie if the parameter has been made more sensitive, dialling it down), and making use of new parameters

Agree about the factory presets. I've supported the commercial builders in the past, but have found for me the factory preset amp cab setting and in many cases even the effects are set just right for me to play out live.
I always shake my head in disagreement when players diss the factory presets.

Cliff and M@ knows great tone and effects.

Bishops got a couple on the exchange also that I use live and work very well too..:)

Looking foreword to checking out Mokes Ideas using the factory presets.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom