Review: Yamaha NX55p

Severed

Fractal Fanatic
Review: Yorkville NX55p

So I've been renting one of these for a little over 2 months and I have to give it a rave review.

In my current cover band project we play three 1 hour sets of Classic Metal and Hard Rock, in which I am doing all the leads as well as the main rhythm and backup vocals. My co-guitarist is playing through a Boss GT-8 into a Marshall DSL2000 into an 1960A cab. This little NX55P completely crushes his setup, no matter how he tweaks it.

We've now played 6 different venues, all completely different in terms of room size and shape, stage / no stage, house PA, our own PA, etc, etc. So Far the NX55P has been 100% consistent, reliable and sounds great no matter the venue. I am using it only as a stage wash / personal monitor. I've also set it up to take an aux send from the PA giving me a personal mix of my backup vocals most prominently, and the other guitarist and lead vocals and it mixes with the guitar feed from the Axe FX flawlessly. Clean, lots of headroom, zero distortion even when we are all going full out.

The other thing that is quite surprising is how much bass is realistically produced. This speaker does a pretty good job for a single 12", and easily holds it own next to a 4x12 guitar cabinet. Additionally the ability to roll off the lows when you are in a small space with a lot of corners by simply pressing a button on the back is really useful.

The Dispersion isn't the greatest @ 80'x50', but is sufficient for my current project.

Bottom Line....., still not sold 100% on these, but just thought I'd share my experience so far which has been more than satisfactory. If you have a Long & McQuade or like store that rents, I would recommend giving them a whirl with the Axe Fx II.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom