(Review / Verdict!) FX8 to replace my Timeline, Mobius, and TC HOF

tonejunkie

Just purchased the unit... probably arrive in a couple weeks. Crossing my fingers that I like it :) I'm excited to to have the options for EQ in my signal chain too! Here is my current board... and the type of music I play.

IMG_3048.JPG

Nice board and sweet grooves...Congrats on the purchase.
FX8 has eight slots that you can route various ways (pre/post) preamp. Very NICE!!
Lot’s of great effects available as well.

I have scenes set-up to use various gain stages with or without effects. Basically, you can either use scenes or have individual effects on Instant Access...I prefer scenes for less tap dancing.
The effects are top notch.

I just set-up a few presets, with various scenes, easy peasy. If you need something specific that’s not in your “ regular” preset, just make another :D

My amp channels change, as well as anything in the FX8. It’s a nice unit.
I also have expression/volume pedal attached. Otherwise it’s just cables for in front and effects loop.
Hope you enjoy!!

Yeah I'm ready for a bit of learning curve but I'm pretty good at the midi thing so I think I will be OK. The FX8 will allow me to go back to a Dumble clone amp I used to use a bunch in the past as well as being an awesome unit for when I sit in... all my sounds in one box and no tapdancing! I'm pretty excited

You will most likely find it easier to get to sounds a la your switcher.

I went from a timeline/bigsky setup + 2 dirt pedals, keeley caverns and tuner to the FX8. The only thing I actually miss about my old board is stacking reverbs, because they use a lot of CPU in the FX8. My workaround was simply bouncing between 2 presets for my verbs and delays.

I highly recommend reading the manual a couple of times before it shows up. It really helps to get going.

My workaround was simply bouncing between 2 presets for my verbs and delays.
Is there any lag between loading a new preset during a tune... so can I go from one preset to another or do you have to use scenes to make a sound change seamless?

Is there any lag between loading a new preset during a tune... so can I go from one preset to another or do you have to use scenes to make a sound change seamless?

There is a split second lag, but not enough that it's any inconvenience to me. I just make the switch at times where it's not going to affect the sound.

I have my FX8 set up as a traditional board and use F switches for the tuner and preset up/down. I don't think that's very common, but that's how I'm using it haha.

there is no "lag" but a gap in the audio that is there on purpose when changing presets. without the audio gap, there is potential popping and clicking from many parameters suddenly changing. this happens on real amps and other gear as well (some even pop and click), and we would just have to switch slightly earlier, usually less than 1/2 a second, or a 16th note on average.

turning effects on/off within a preset should not have any audio gap, as they are loaded and ready to go, just engaging or bypassing.

with almost any audio gear out there, it's not possible to change heavy-processing functions immediately without any artifacts or noise. some very inexpensive gear isn't doing high-quality processing, so it can switch sounds very easily as not much is going on.

most other gear solves this by having 2 full copies of the sound/tone/setting and muting/unmuting things. think of it like your favorite guitarist using 2 of the same amp, one set to clean channel, one set to dirty channel and just muting/unmuting what they need. they do not change channels on the amp itself all night.

Here is my little review:
How I am using it: In front of several different clean amps Fender Blackface Pro Reverb, Blackface Princeton, or a JTM45.
Interface: I love the FX8 edit... easy to navigate. I tried to edit via the hardware as well and i don't think its that bad. I want to be able to change fx mix every once and a while live and I think thats easily doable. I really like the screen shows what pedal is activated during each scene. Also its super easy to change your pedal board switch layout each preset.
Time Based FX: Sound great and are easy to tweak... I'm totally happy to trade my Timeline, Mobius, and HOF for this!
Compression and EQ: I did not have this on my previous board shown above. The EQ is very powerful and is really going to allow me to fine tune my live sound. I'm stoked on this! And the compressor is a surprise to me I have never found one I really liked but this studio compressor in the FX8 is great! I used to use my Timmy as an always on boost to compress a little and a tiny mid bump but the EQ and compression of the FX8 is taking over for that.
Drives: I took some time with this... I do think there is some very usable sounds but I like the feel of my analog pedals a bit better so I'm going to keep two analog overdrives on my board... Timmy (light overdrive), and Zendrive (smooth OD).
Switching: I currently use a RJM mini effect gizmo and RJM mastermind to switch everything but now it will be the FX8. I plan to make a remote looper (like a gig rig loopy 2 pictured below) to use the relays in the FX8 to switch in two overdrives. I'm sure it will work flawlessly but will have to report back after I wire up the new rig in the next month. It is a bit less functionality (2 loops with the FX8 and remote switcher vs 5 loops with the RJM but I think all the other benefits of using the FX8 will be great!
Dry Sound / digital conversion: No audible difference... all my Strymon pedals are analog through so my previous board was analog dry throughout... I have no digital issues here.

images

Last edited:
Yeah tonejunkie, I am also in the process of selling off a lot of my pedals too for a couple of reasons: seriously doubt that the FX 8 can't offer comparable, if not most times, superior FX in terms of sonic quality, and certainly in terms of depth of editing, but I have a few I am loathe to part with: 1) my TC Electronics Nova Drive, a superb sounding pedal with 3 way configuration in terms of FX ordering, plus 18 memory slots 2) my Way Huge and Seymour Duncan compressors, both with lots of controls and really great sounding too, and 3) my incredible Digitech Stereo Jam Man looper, great for both its delay, and it's looping, They should never have discontinued that product, but its broad capabilities probably got in the way of selling their other products. I wish the AX8 had some kind of memory for loops, another reason I'll keep the Digitech.

Last edited:
Here is my little review:
How I am using it: In front of several different clean amps Fender Blackface Pro Reverb, Blackface Princeton, or a JTM45.
Interface: I love the FX8 edit... easy to navigate. I tried to edit via the hardware as well and i don't think its that bad. I want to be able to change fx mix every once and a while live and I think thats easily doable. I really like the screen shows what pedal is activated during each scene. Also its super easy to change your pedal board switch layout each preset.
Time Based FX: Sound great and are easy to tweak... I'm totally happy to trade my Timeline, Mobius, and HOF for this!
Compression and EQ: I did not have this on my previous board shown above. The EQ is very powerful and is really going to allow me to fine tune my live sound. I'm stoked on this! And the compressor is a surprise to me I have never found one I really liked but this studio compressor in the FX8 is great! I used to use my Timmy as an always on boost to compress a little and a tiny mid bump but the EQ and compression of the FX8 is taking over for that.
Drives: I took some time with this... I do think there is some very usable sounds but I like the feel of my analog pedals a bit better so I'm going to keep two analog overdrives on my board... Timmy (light overdrive), and Zendrive (smooth OD).
Switching: I currently use a RJM mini effect gizmo and RJM mastermind to switch everything but now it will be the FX8. I plan to make a remote looper (like a gig rig loopy 2 pictured below) to use the relays in the FX8 to switch in two overdrives. I'm sure it will work flawlessly but will have to report back after I wire up the new rig in the next month. It is a bit less functionality (2 loops with the FX8 and remote switcher vs 5 loops with the RJM but I think all the other benefits of using the FX8 will be great!
Dry Sound / digital conversion: No audible difference... all my Strymon pedals are analog through so my previous board was analog dry throughout... I have no digital issues here.

images
I have tested the loopy 2 a bunch and it works great! You can get two of them and control up to 4 external drive pedals by using the relay states in the scenes!

Back
Top Bottom