Review: Tannoy VX12 & VX12HP Passive Monitors

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
Tannoy VX12 & VX12HP Passive Monitors

Mike Pyle of Audiopyle Sound sent me two passive monitors to review. Both are Tannoy, which is based in the UK, and come from the same line. The first is the VX-12 and the second is the VX-12HP.

Disclosure: The monitors were provided to me for the review. I did not buy the speakers and they were returned to Audiopyle Sound after the review period. Audiopyle Sound did not paid or offer to pay me in any way, no favors offered, no discounted gear was offered (or taken) for my opinion. Mike allowed me an extended period to work with it and full editorial control for the review. Other than answering technical questions, Audiopyle Sound has no approval nor input into my review.

I fully welcome any comments, questions and discussion of the power amp.

2013-01-24125635_zps316ec241.jpg

2013-01-24125749_zpsa7e6ab06.jpg

2013-01-24125646_zps3402bd9d.jpg

What

These are two passive speakers from the Tannoy VX performance/install line. The line features (from the Tannoy website):

• High efficiency and low distortion
  • Integrip™ carrying points for portability
  • Dual Concentric driver technology for renowned point-source performance
  • Engineered and built in UK
  • Five year loudspeaker warranty

Tannoy is a well known and respected company. Mike Pyle felt that these speakers might be ideal for the fairly specialized application of people using modeler/profiler guitar oriented processors for guys looking for a premium level passive speaker. There are a lot of guys out there that have been running power amps into guitar cabs and own them, but want to get into the FRFR monitor setup. By working with their existing power amp, they can put their money into a premium passive speaker.

Features

Both these speakers are cosmetically the same - other than the label (and weight) you cannot tell them apart from each other. They share the exact same size and form factor.

The cabinet has a 40° and a 60° side for different angles which is very practical depending on your application. They also features a pole mount cup and these can be flown for installs.

The carry handles are integral to the cabinet and work well. These are substantial speakers - they weigh 43.5 lbs. (VX12) and 47.4 lbs. (VX12HP). Not flyweight. The handles matter; they work and work well.

2013-01-24125808_zps1c0e96fc.jpg

The two speakers here are smack in the middle of the size of the range for this VX series from Tannoy. They feature what Tannoy calls a “Dual Concentric” configuration; in practice that means it can be thought of as a coaxial sort of setup. In other words, no matter the way the speaker is used, the center of the speaker is the axis. (*This is detailing a simple contrast vs. your normal multi-driver (woofer, tweeter, with/without mid driver).

The frequency response is very wide: 70Hz-25kHz (VX12) and 60Hz-25kHz (VX12HP) both the quoted numbers are rated at -3db within that range. They can be bi-amped, but you would need to open the back panel and configure it inside. You could also use the terminal strip for that in an install setup. Suggested power amp ratings for each is a 400 watt output at 8 ohms. I used the Matrix 1500FXBD for purposes of this review, which was putting out 300 watts at 8 ohms.

The finish on them is your typical ‘bumpy’ black paint, very tough and the fit and finish is notable. The warranty of 5 years on either version is testament to the quality of materials and craftsmanship. Top notch.

Function

I detailed this out in the Matrix Amp review, but I’ll repeat it here. This wasn’t difficult to set up; I don’t have the speaker cabs needed to pull off a W/D/W setup (the Matrix I reviewed was a 3 channel single space power amp) so I proceeded to use the Matrix to power Tannoy VX12 and VX12HP passive wedges (*also here for review) separately and in stereo together (just for fun).

The Tannoy speakers use Speakons and I ran both speakers in mono (they are 8 ohm passive coaxial designs that can handle 400 watts) and then together in stereo. Before I play tested them, I ran full range music (all sorts of different genre’s of music) through the setup. Then I play tested using a Fractal Audio Axe-FX II into the Matrix, also out to the Tannoy’s.

I ran these on the floor as wedges and also mounted on a pole to get a sense of what they can do mated to the Matrix GT1500FXBD.

With full range music it was clean, fast and handled transients as you’d expect. Music that punched fast and hard, punched fast and hard. There is a very ‘clean’ sort of timbre from these speakers, they do sound better IMHO on the pole. On the floor, you have coupling that makes them both bassy. They do have a character that reminds me of Genelec studio monitors. Especially when listening to exacting program music (ie. Sting’s “Ten Summoner's Tales” and Kevin Gilbert’s “Thud”) there is exceptional detail, the highs were very crisp and defined. The low end is very defined (*better when on the pole than on the ground). When you put these on the ground, there are no preset ‘modes’ for using them as floor monitors. So you get a hump in what I’d guess is the 120Hz frequency. It still sounds good - very good - but the difference between on the speaker stand and on the floor needs to be mentioned.

Plugging the Axe-FX II in resulted in a very pleasing punchy loud signal. My opinion from the full range music held up - lots of punch, body, air. Again, the Tannoy’s are very crystalline in timbre, their character reminds me of Genelec studio monitors. The Matrix seemed more than up to the task. If both share one very common trait, it’s that very detailed, crisp yet natural sounding top end.

How loud can they get? Pretty loud. I ran out of amplifier before I ran out of speaker. These can handle up to 400 watts program and peaks of 800 watts (VX12) and 700 watts program and 1400 watts peak for the VX12HP. The Matrix is rated far lower; so my measurements have to take that into account. These are pretty efficient speakers at 97db each at 1 meter. I measured peaks at about +121db with my Galaxy Audio CheckMate SPL db meter. (C-weighted, Slow Response). I imagine that with a higher rated power amp you could push these speakers harder and louder.

They are both 75 degrees conical dispersion and seem to both work well off-axis very uniformly. One of the advantages to these sorts of monitors with the ‘point source’ axis; you get very uniform results no matter where you are in the ‘cone’ of directivity. I have nothing bad to report on this - they both performed very well. These are quality designs and built speakers.

I’ll point out the differences in performance between the two speakers. There is a difference and it’s in the strengths and weaknesses of these speakers. I’ll explain. The VX12 is the more affordable version and is noticeably lighter in weight. It sounds very good - clear, defined, detailed and has that unmistakable top end. The VX12HP is a definite step UP in every way, it’s excellent. Every strength of the VX12 is improved upon. The clarity is exceptional, the low end even tighter and the high end is musical and crisp. On the floor set as a wedge, both exhibit far more of a bass jump do to coupling with the floor, you can mitigate the level of it a bit with the steeper angle’d back panel, but it’s present.

I took this setup running one channel on the Matrix into the Tannoy VX12HPto one gig and the results were great. In a live setting (typical 200-300 person bar/pub setup) the results were more than pleasing. The rig performed as expected, no downtime and through setup, sound check and then 4 full sets the Matrix was plugged in and turned from about 7:30pm to 2am and never hiccuped. I had my normal RCF NX 12-SMA in the car *just in case*, but never felt the need to get it and was more than happy with how the rig ran that night.

So I know people will ask me to compare and contrast the Matrix/Tannoy set up to the RCF NX 12-SMA. I’ll do my best. The RCF is very loud, very clear and tends to sound warm and musical. It has a tendency to be slightly darker especially it’s off axis behavior - it’s a very directional monitor. The power amp is 700 watts program and peaks at 1400 watts. I’ve measured it up to +124db (*with hearing protection on using my Galaxy Audio CheckMate SPL db meter, C-weighted, slow response). The RCF has a musical character/timbre, TONS of power - I’ve never had any issues with volume. The form factor is excellent - it’s low, but wide but the performance of it has always been the benchmark of any self-powered monitor under $2500. It’s negatives are the uncomfortable and impractical carry handle, side mounted controls under the carry handle (controls and ins/outs all exposed to weather during transport in/out of venues), it’s very focused and narrow cone of dispersion. It has a very noticeable bump at 120Hz when in “free field” mode (*I exclusively use it in ‘Floor mode’ even when mounted on a pole); with the ins/outs on the side, when you pole mount the thing the cables stick out the top (impractical).

The Matrix/Tannoy combination needs to be looked at with the VX12 and then the VX12HP. Both the Tannoy’s are just about as wide as the RCF, but have a far bigger ‘look’ on the floor. They are substantial in size and weight. Their handles are *far* more practical and user friendly. The grilles are both industrial strength on the RCF and Tannoy. I prefer the form factor of the RCF overall. Performance: The VX12 is not up to what the RCF can do in volume (*with this particular power amp); it just cannot get as loud. The RCF sounds and feels as loud at halfway up as the Matrix/VX12 can do 100% wide open. The RCF compared timbre wise, you can argue plus/minus for both. The RCF is huge sounding and warm. Tons of thump, exceptionally clear on transients. The Matrix/V12 is not as warm, sounds more ‘precise’ and has that crisp character on top (*NOT strident or edgy or forward; just *crisp*). I found that I favored the RCF between these two.

Now the Matrix/VX12HP added more of everything and I gigged it. I was really happy with the overall experience - it is different than the RCF in many ways. The bottom end is tighter; not as “big” sounding but with far more detail. The mids are more pronounced and defined. The top end was again ‘crisp’ but in a musical way. It’s the same loudness as the VX12, but feels/sounds bigger. I would have to say ‘even’ with the RCF in terms of preference, but I’d really like to hear the VX12HP with a 700/1400 watt power amp (on par with what the RCF has). That’d be very interesting.

Conclusion

Now when Mike offered to send these to me at the same time Matrix was inquiring about sending me a power amp for review, it seemed providence to me. I had to hear them. I was impressed overall with the Tannoy’s - they have a very musical character. The street prices on these will have to be checked with Mike. He does not publish prices. These are not the sort of speakers you’ll find down at GC or on Musician’s Friend. They are not cheap. The VX12 is under $1K each; the VX12HP is over $1K each. That much I’ll post; the rest you’ll need to research if you are interested.

The idea for this review was Mike Pyle seeing if in my opinion these would work as passive higher end speaker monitor solutions for guys that already owned power amps but wanted to get into FRFR with a higher end passive speaker. My gut feeling is that the VX12HP in particular - coupled with a properly matching poweramp - would be a particularly powerful solution. The sonic timbre, the clarity of the top end is excellent. I cannot doubt that properly driven that it would not be a truly professional level solution to the job a guitarist using a modeling rig would want.

I will add the main caveat with these particular speakers - IMHO they are far better used as a main FOH speaker on a pole (*and by extension, flown) than as floor monitors. They excelled when removed from the ground and the lack of any sort of solution (you could do this with an EQ or DriveRack, etc) take care of the bump at 120Hz when they are on the floor. This is somewhat mitigated when you use the steeper angle off the floor, but it’s noticeable to my ear.

The VX12HP did tend to highlight the differences between the RCF and itself and I felt it was a higher end solution even on the floor. But at nearly 50 lbs for a passive speaker... you are starting to get into logistical issues that running modelers is/was designed to mitigate. The 50lb mark for a powered speaker is okay in my book because you are not adding heavy power amps to your rack case; and the Matrix power amp has a major advantage at just over 8lbs, but for pushing the VX12HP in particular might be really pushed (though it did perform admirably on the gig).

I would give a recommendation to either speaker for this application with the following caveats:

• Have enough amp
  • They are better at pole mounted/flown than on the floor, so you will need some sort of EQ on the output of your modeler to adjust
  • You will need speakon speaker cables

I’d like to also give special mention to Mike Pyle from AudioPyle.com. He has been a wonderful asset to the community for modeler users looking at the product lines he carries. His patience with me (getting me the speakers, getting me speakon cables) and allowing me full time frames with no pressure is most appreciated. His customer service and prices (which he needs to keep offline in order to keep his distribution rights) are unparalleled by many (if not most) other retailers and distributors. He’s been wonderful about any issues for so many people and is always available to answer questions and offer great deals for the lines he carries. He’s truly one of the good guys and that really bears mentioning.

VX12
Pros

• Detailed timbre
  • Good volume
  • Practical form factor (more so for FOH)
  • Good power handling
  • Wide dispersion pattern
  • 5 Year Warranty

Cons

• Expensive
  • Limited ability to try before you buy
  • Better suited to FOH than monitor use (unless you use external EQ)

VX12HP
Pros

• Very detailed
  • Excellent sonic accuracy
  • Robust power handling
  • Pleasing timbre
  • Practical form factor (more so for FOH)
  • Wide dispersion pattern
  • 5 Year Warranty

Cons

• Very expensive
  • Heavy
  • Limited ability to try before you buy
  • Better suited to FOH than monitor use (unless you use external EQ)

thanks (again LOL! ) Scott
nice detailed review, and I have to agree with the praise for Mike Pyle, he was just great to deal with.
He was very professional and got my Nx 12 delivered to me almost over night (for no extra charge)
and with a far better price than anywhere else I looked.

Great review, Scott. LOTS more useful information than you get from typical magazine reviews. And certainly more free from bias as well. Like you, I really like RCF NX 12-SMA speakers, but I definitely am interested in hearing about high-end concentric speakers that have a wider dispersion pattern than the RCF's.

Mike Pyle: Yup, his prices and service are superb.

Thanks for the reveiw Scott. That was one clean and honest overlook.

This forum is a great place to find out who has good customer service. I rather pay 10% more for a product, if the service is top notch.

Prefereble the same or lower... of course, but you can see how good the service is when something goes wrong. Is there help to get, when things are broke?
G66 is excellent. I have dealt with them, and it seems like Matrix, Mike Pyle and others are up there to.

Cool to see a review on the V12 series boxes; they sound great for FRFR use for sure, and can take a lot of power!

Tannoy make great FRFR systems. I'm yet to hear a FRFR box that sounds as good as my vnet300s. Unfortunately they weigh 40kg each, so I expect I'll get a more portable 'b rig' at some stage - perhaps a CLR or something.

I picked up a pair of what seems to be the predecessor to these today - Tannoy PowerV 12. I just started listening to them, so far my impressions are positive. Unlike Mackie DLM12 these do not hype the low and high end, so sitting next to the Mackies they sound almost dull, but the flipside of that is that they have detailed mids. Plus, they're 70Hz-25KHz -3dB, pretty far into the dog hearing range. Mackie doesn't even specify their -3dB frequency range.

So far I'm listening to jazz, haven't played my guitar through them yet.

I picked up a pair of what seems to be the predecessor to these today - Tannoy PowerV 12. I just started listening to them, so far my impressions are positive. Unlike Mackie DLM12 these do not hype the low and high end, so sitting next to the Mackies they sound almost dull, but the flipside of that is that they have detailed mids. Plus, they're 70Hz-25KHz -3dB, pretty far into the dog hearing range. Mackie doesn't even specify their -3dB frequency range.

So far I'm listening to jazz, haven't played my guitar through them yet.

I've been using a Tannoy V12 powered by a QSC PLX2502 as my output rig for the last couple of years with the AFX and indeed like it a lot as well. I was using an RCF310a before that and they had a hyped low and high end which the Tannoy didn't and the V12 sounded so much better across the board. Presets were far easier to create/tune with the Tannoy vs the RCF big time.

I just recieved my CLR active wedges last Thursday and am in the process of working with them to replace the Tannoy, but the V12's do sound and work great with the AFX for sure.

Back
Top Bottom